+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Managing an uneven window rough opening?

JLMCDANIEL just posted the pics- thanks for that! This contractor must not do many old houses. IMHO he's in over his head to not understand the need to maintain the original elegant trimwork including the reveal dimensions. He chose 'the easy way' in leaving the old frame and dropping in replacement style windows.

Sighing...sometimes I'm not so proud of the business I'm in when I see guys like this.

Phil

Looks to me like he didn't even install these correctly.

There seem to be big gaps around the edges looking at the outside.

And am I seeing the foam gasket around the edges?

In any case ,I know I'm seeing the expanding foam spray in one of the pics.

Question Re: Managing an uneven window rough opening?

Thanks to all for the comments/suggestions.

Well, the contractor now understands that I am not happy with the current replacement windows and willing to pay to redo them. I just want to be sure that the 2nd time around we get better results.

He now recommends using wooden pocket windows which will supposedly give me an additional 2.5" of light (1.25 inches on each side). We will also install some interior trim so the jamb extensions aren't so noticeable.

Do these sound like reasonable fixes? Are there better ones?

Also, I didn't mention that I'm in a historic district so can't alter the exterior of the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmithny View Post
    Looks to me like he didn't even install these correctly.

There seem to be big gaps around the edges looking at the outside.

And am I seeing the foam gasket around the edges?

In any case ,I know I'm seeing the expanding foam spray in one of the pics.
    Yes, I wondered about that yellow foam spray. Is that supposed to be invisible? As you can tell from my questions I am pretty clueless about this stuff, and I figured they were going to clean it up after...

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Two is that an experienced contractor would have noticed the stepped jamb, explained the options, and helped you choose- then he would have done the measuring to match that choice (even if you told him to measure differently)
    Phil
    And shouldn't our architect have picked up on this?!! Even when I called her to come and see how weird the replacement windows look she didn't figure out that it was a "stepped jamb" and thought the entire problem was due to mywanting to save the exterior trim...

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    IMHO he's in over his head to not understand the need to maintain the original elegant trimwork including the reveal dimensions. He chose 'the easy way' in leaving the old frame and dropping in replacement style windows.

Phil
    Phil, what are the "reveal dimensions'? Is that the actual size of the glass in the windows? How exactly do you maintain it when you are dealing with a stepped jamb? If it entails custom building the windows, I don't think I have the right contractor (or the budget) to do that...

Fenster you had custom sized windows installed, they were made to fit. Your problem is that you hired a "window installer" who didn't know his a** from a hole in the ground. Any competent contractor could have fitted the windows properly, even if they had to remove and reinstall the trim. They may have even been able to just install new jamb liners and sashes.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 06-20-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Phil, what are the "reveal dimensions'? Is that the actual size of the glass in the windows? How exactly do you maintain it when you are dealing with a stepped jamb? If it entails custom building the windows, I don't think I have the right contractor (or the budget) to do that...
    What I am speaking of is the distance between the glass and the edges of the opening. With replacement windows you won't match the originals exactly, but someone could do better than this. Different window manufacturers have different minimum dimensions and a good contractor would know to not just take what the local guy offered unless it was a much closer match.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    And shouldn't our architect have picked up on this?!! Even when I called her to come and see how weird the replacement windows look she didn't figure out that it was a "stepped jamb" and thought the entire problem was due to my wanting to save the exterior trim...
    That architect needs to be placed on the working end of a shovel till they can learn something obvious to anyone with more than two working brain cells: You're darn tooting that you wanted to save the exterior trim- what part of "Historical District" and "No exterior changes" did you not understand when this project began? Sheesh, I feel for ya man.....