+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Filling window weight pockets with foam

Have large windows with old sash weight pockets.The pockets are 8 ft tall x5"x 6". Want to fill with spray cell foam. Saw Tom fill the window weight pockets on a This Old House Show. I think it was the Boston house project. The foam company I contacted (Touch,n Seal) does not have a slow raise foam (open or closed cell type). After the old pockets are sealed ,the new replacement windows will be installed.Need to find supplier or name of type of foam used. This building is 125 years old and we have many windows, I don't want to use small spray foam cans.

Default Re: Filling window weight pockets with foam

Why don't you want to use the stuff in the small blue cans? Not the red or black cans which expand too much.

I use the blue cans all the time. Its great stuff (no pun intended)

I agree with Houston, and will add that you cannot just squirt down the holes where the pulleys once lived, all you're going to accomplish is to create a ball of foam that will expand and cause the jamb to bow. You've got to pull the face trim off the window and sparingly squirt in the foam. Use just enough to fill the gap between the jamb and the framing DO NOT try to fill the entire cavity with foam, you'll not only have a foaming mess, you'll cause the jambs to bow under the pressure of the expanding foam.

I also agree that using small cans and working at a relaxed pace is far better using industrial sized containers or special equipment and rushing. The small can will give you maneuverability and mobility. If you have to stop and the nozzle plugs up, grabbing another can is cheap enough.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you let the can set long enough, the nozzle cleans easily with a piece of wire / coat hanger

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    If you let the can set long enough, the nozzle cleans easily with a piece of wire / coat hanger
    Who's got that kind of time?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

jack, hes retired

personally i hate the small throw away cans, their a total pain in the but for controlling the flow of the foam as to how much comes out. if i do use them its for spots where being neat doesnt matter, just filling large voids

i use a foam gun which you simply change the can, much more control and they can be cleaned if they jamb up.

as for the topic though, put small amounts of foam in at a time letting it expand and cure a bit, then put a little more in let expand and so on. this way you greatly reduce the chance of bowing the jamb. this is the method i use for windows and door installs
    fire up the saw and make some dust