+ Reply to Thread

Default Sunporch off upstairs bedroom

My husband and I have spent 20 years remodeling a four room block farm house by ourselves. We added a second story with a walk out and railing from our upstairs bedroom that faces west in the beginning. Now I would like to cover and screen the porch. There is a covered porch below the walk out but no way to bring posts from the second story to the ground. My husband thinks since all our weather comes from the west,(we live in Ohio),it is too dangerous to put a roof on without securing it to the ground. Is there another way to add a roof and secure without going to the ground with posts.

Default Re: Sunporch off upstairs bedroom

I'm confused. IF the porch below is covered, then you should be able to reenforce ro continue those supports up to the 2nd floor.

However, you need to make sure the footings of those supports are adequate for the extra load.

Without pictures, its' hard to visualize the issue and clearly respond.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Default Re: Sunporch off upstairs bedroom

In general what you're looking for is a continuous and as direct as possible tying-in of everything from the top to the foundation. A house is a system of calculated (we hope) stresses that all work together as one. To conventionally get that top-to-bottom tie-in you will probably have to open up the 1st story roof to get to the structural members. From what you describe, it seems that the existing sun-porch wasn't tied in so that is where you're going to have to go to achieve it. If you can access the 1st floor ceiling and a repair there is easy, you might be able to tie this porch down with all-threaded rods cut to length, which means only drilling and sealing small holes versus opening up the entire roof. Pull up decking boards on top to hide it and voila- all tied in invisibly.

As a general remodeling rule, you need to think as far ahead as you can. In doing any project, consider not only what you may want in the future, but what the next owner may decide to do, then allow for that. The payoff might be someone else's or it may be yours when you change your mind, but at least you've eliminated future problems for someone and that's always good.