+ Reply to Thread

Default Screws for face frames

My cabinet face frames are made of cherry, what type of screw is preferred when screwing the face frames together?

Default Re: Screws for face frames

Look up "pocket screws", then look up Kreg Jig.

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks, I guess I've should of mentioned is what I'm looking for is when installing the cabinets what type of screw to use for screwing one cabinet face frame to the next.

besides being called a pocket hole screw there also called washer head, as they look like a panhead with a built in washer. their also called particle board screws, as they are used to bank cabinets together when installing them. available at most woodworking supplies, or in the fastener isle of any big box
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I use 2 1/4 trim screws for screwing the styles together...Ive never had a problem.
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...u=30931&ucst=t

I love these cabinet clamps also. Been using them for yrs.....

http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/200...FcjAKgodZhIvzg
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

For hardwoods like cherry you are better off using a fine thread as opposed to a coarse thread screw. Be sure to drill a proper sized pilot hole. If you go with the washer head you do not need to drill a countersink and the screw is proud of the surface. This may not work if you have inset doors (ones that are flush with the face frame). If you use a flat head or trim screw you will need to drill a countersink for the head to fit in so it doesn't split the face frame.

Mike

I usually take a 3/16 drill and drill through the first face frame and then use a screw long enough to go at least 1/2 inch into the second face frame. I always use corse thread (wood) screw regardless of wood type versus a fine thread (metal) screw. I also make sure that I buy number 2 square drive screws. They don't slip like a phillips screw. and I never use a washered screw when screwing face frames together. but I do use washered screws when screwing it to the wall. You usually don't have to use a counter sink as the screw usually counter sinks on its own when pulling tight.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    You usually don't have to use a counter sink as the screw usually counter sinks on its own when pulling tight.
    That's dangerous when you're working with a harder wood. It's better to countersink and be safe than to try to side step it and blow out the faceframe on the cabinet. The caveat to this, of course, is the type of screw being used. A washer head screw won't split and will probably embed itself enough to not be an issue. A conical head screw will very likely cause blowout.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

All I can say Spruce Ole friend of mine is that I have been doing cabinet installs for about 12 years and this is the way I was trained to do it and have been doing it that way. have had no problems not with cherry oak, or hickory. remember I'm drilling the first face frame with a 3/16 inch bit so the threads aren't grabbing into the first face frame and only grabbing into the second most of your cabinet screws that are bugle head are disigned for this, if you look at the underside of the head you will notice two lines on them that actually work as counter sinks as it is being pulled up.

screws like these, but the ones I use are black

http://www.strongtie.com/products/qu...oodtowood.html