+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Did something REALLY stupid . . . now driving me NuTs!

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the ideas.

Gasoline . . . .hmmmmmmm. . . .

Regardless, it was a good couple of laughs.
    B

Bailey:

If it wuz me, I would phone around to the duct cleaning contractors in your area. I expect that many of them would have cameras that they can run on their vaccuum hose to find out what's going on inside ducts buryed under drywall and plaster. They may be able to run their camera in to locate the foam, then pull the camera and run the vaccuum hose in the same distance to retrieve the foam.
    Last edited by Nestor; 06-17-2011 at 08:09 PM.

You said it dropped straight down- if it's still there where you can see it, try this: Tie something like a small block of wood or plastic to a string that will reach. Protect the floor and yourself from the glue and glob super-glue gel on the weight. Lower it until you get contact with the styrofoam near the top, then tape the string to the floor where it will remain in contact till the glue sets. My favorite part- take a break allowing the glue to bond then pull it up once rested from the exhausting work.

I hope this gets to you (and will work)before you go cutting into things that you hopefully won't have to!

Phil
    (PS-don't ask how I figured this out, let's just say I have had to do similar things more than once!)

The ideal glue for Phils suggestion is Grabber by locktite or PL Premium by locktight.

A wad of duct tape on the bottom of the weight would be more fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    You said it dropped straight down- if it's still there where you can see it, try this: Tie something like a small block of wood or plastic to a string that will reach. Protect the floor and yourself from the glue and glob super-glue gel on the weight. Lower it until you get contact with the styrofoam near the top, then tape the string to the floor where it will remain in contact till the glue sets. My favorite part- take a break allowing the glue to bond then pull it up once rested from the exhausting work.

I hope this gets to you (and will work)before you go cutting into things that you hopefully won't have to!

Phil
    (PS-don't ask how I figured this out, let's just say I have had to do similar things more than once!)

Not trying to rain on any ones parade but what happens if it comes in contact with the duct? Then you have the styrofoam and a weight down there with little hope of getting it out cause it's glued to the duct.

hence the duct tape or PL premium.

I guess you could use honey or molasses if you wanted to be "organic"

Great ideas guys...

But the gasoline solution tops them all...

Be careful Fencepost, someone might say: "hey, fencepost told me to do this", after his house goes on fire.

Asking this question was worth it just for the comic fodder. (Made me feel a little less stupid)

I tried a leaf blower which has seemed to push the Styrofoam somewhere it doesnít rattle. (Mind you, the wife didnít like me running a gas powered blower in the house, but I did so briefly and it seemed to do the trick!)

Fishing with ball of duct tape will be my next attempt.

Thanks again for the advice and more importantly, the laughs.

Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    Not trying to rain on any ones parade but what happens if it comes in contact with the duct? Then you have the styrofoam and a weight down there with little hope of getting it out cause it's glued to the duct.
    Perhaps they don't have good flashlights or worklights where you live so you can see what you're doing. In your case you should lower a lit kerosene lamp into areas where you are working, being sure to spill kerosene as you do it. I promise the problem- whatever it was- will disappear just like smoke on a windy day. And hey- you'll get to meet a lot of nice firemen this way too

I would probably combine a few of the ideas, i would take a rope or string or something, attach a nice big serrated knife to the end and making a small block of wood for more weight.

lower it down to the phone and stab that sucker! lol who knows if that will do any good, would have to be extremely careful when coming up/ or a bunch of fishing hooks or something.