+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Self propelled lawnmowers

What is better a rear wheel self propelled lawnmower or a front wheel drive self propelled lawnmower? I need help on this. Our lawn has several hills on it and one place tells us that rear wheel drive is better for hills, and a different place tells us front wheel drive is better....

Default Re: Self propelled lawnmowers

I have a Lawn Boy rear wheel drive model with the speed control where when you push the handle harder, the faster it goes.
    While not like the Lawn Boy mowers of old (2-stroke), for about $300 at Home Depot, it was an "OK" deal.

This is my fourth year and I have yet to replace or adjust the belt on it. It is reliable in starting and is nice because it has rear bag, mulch or side discharge (we use the side discharge).

I never saw how front wheel drive was superior because it seems to me like you are more likely to lean on the handle on the rear.

Good luck.

Laws of physics will dictate.

If it's a rear bagger as most mowers are these days, as the bag weight increases, the front wheels will lift off the ground, making a rear wheel drive mower the better choice in a hilly terrain.

If you've got perfectly flat ground, then a front drive unit will work fine, put a hill in front of it and it will be the worst mower you've ever used.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

One advantage I see for front drive is that when you make turns, the driving wheels are not fighting you. With rear drive, the wheels are kind of doing "wheelies" during the turn. With a front drive, the driving wheels are slightly off the ground during the turn. I use a 12 year old John Deere rear drive that just keeps on tickin'.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    One advantage I see for front drive is that when you make turns, the driving wheels are not fighting you. With rear drive, the wheels are kind of doing "wheelies" during the turn. With a front drive, the driving wheels are slightly off the ground during the turn. I use a 12 year old John Deere rear drive that just keeps on tickin'.
    That's something I hadn't thought of, however, if it's an issue it's not usually too hard to let go of the drive for a turn, then get back on it for the straight-away. As with anything else, it's a nuance you'd have to get used to with a self propelled mower.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I like the front wheel drive because by pushing down on the handle and lifting the front wheels you can easily stop the drive and back up. It make it a lot easier mowing around trees and getting in and out of areas. I don't have much in the way of hills, so I can see how the rear wheel drive might be usefull there. I mostly use my mower where the tractor can't get.

For hills, rear drive is better, it will make the job a lot easier, you will almost wish you had more hills to mow...

I've had both and I much prefer the front wheel drive. With front wheel drive, things are more intuitive. You push down on the handles to lift the front wheels when you want to stop or make a turn. If you get stuck in the rough, you can simply lift on the handle to get the mower moving again.

Rear wheel drive usually use some type of lever to engage the clutch or control the speed. The lever has an uncanny resemblance to a brake lever on a bicycle. When you want to stop, it seems more intuitive to squeeze the lever like you do when riding a bike. You don't get used to this if you still ride a bike for exercise or sport.

I have a Toro rear wheel drive that works the same as Cougars1996 and have never had a problem. I just replaced the belt after 4 -5 years and now onto replacing the wheels, plastic gears wear out. Other than that it starts just as advertised 1-2 pulls every year.

While we are on the subject of push lawnmowers...

Is anyone familiar with HASQVARNA mowers with HONDA motor on them? any pros? any cons?