+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 1896 Victorian: What do I need to repair right away?

Forgot to mention, when we asked the electrician what he would do if it was his house, he said he would probably leave it as it is, since the house has such unique historical details and it would be difficult to preserve them with re-wiring. He also said "who am I to say the house isn't safe, when it hasn't burned down after 125 years and several large earthquakes?" It's sort of a famous house in this area, but is not on a national historical register (as far as I'm aware)...

Total, sounds like you need a couple more quotes.

PS, the radio has to go.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon , http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

If I were you, I would make sure that you have AFCI Breakers, not only because you have K&T, but because of all of the open connections you are talking about... I am trying to figure out if the house was rewired with 2 wire (with ground) romex cable... If that is the case in most outlets, and I am assuming that the lighting fixtures you are talking about are 2 wire (without ground) romex cable.. If you want to be super safe see if it is possible to fish some new NM cable to the fixture and get it grounded up. Personally, I would just leave the wiring the way it is, but make sure it is on an AFCI breaker, and the electrician takes a good look at the design of the lighting "socket"... And about the radio..... Trace, and find out where the "hardwire" connections are made, if possible disconnect it from your breaker panel, and if that's not possible use water proof wire nuts, and get a metal cover of some sort (sorry wish I could use a better suggestion.) Other than that see if you can trace the wire and disconnect it, and figure out how they hardwired it in the first place, it must have been an accessible place to be able to run the wiring... and pull it out... I hope this helps... and I hope you enjoy your new home, after all the adjustments and fixes are finished.

I kind of expected the electrician's report. House wiring is simple and easy but if you get it wrong, it can be lethal It isn't necessary to rewire to the newest codes to be safe; after all most homes were wired ages ago, and with GFCI updates are 98% as safe as new. But an electrician can't do this for you. The law binds him to the newest code for all his work. Either you're going to have to learn and do what you need or you're going to be seeing that nice electrician again as your savings dwindle.

The real problem you have is 'patchwork' which doesn't work with electricity- everything must work together equally or you're courting disaster- you can't draw 20 Amps on a 14 Ga wire with a total load of 200 Amps on a 100 Amp panel. One last thing: On sale of the house you have to disclose what you know, and if the wiring doesn't pass muster you won't sell without allowing for all new wiring in your selling price.