+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation faux,wall finishes.

I am looking for procedure information on applying a shipping paper/ polyurethane wall texture, or finish.

Default Re: faux,wall finishes.

NOT tryin' to be smart-alecky here...but I'd think this through!

If you decide to repaint later...it's gonna be a P-I-T-A.

If you decide to sell, it's gonna be a BIG drawback. It's soooo easy to get TOO taste-specific.

Faron

Wheat,

A little more information or picture of what you intend would be helpful. Are you intending to apply shipping paper to the wall in a crumpelled up form and then sealing it in with urethane? If so, Faron is correct that some day you will have to deal with getting rid of it - not fun!

There is a technique where glaze is rolled on the wall and then crumpelled up paper or plastic is forced into the glaze and then pulled off leaving a random wrinkled look. This technique can be very interesting and leaves very little actual texture to deal with at some future time. Mere painting will hide it.

I once did this technique in an entrance hall. Whole walls were rapidly rolled with glaze and then a large piece of wrinkled up dropcloth plastic was forced into the glaze using a roller cover. It left a continuous wrinkled look on the wall.

Faux/glazing techniques are normally top coated with a clear sealer, such as clear acrylic or urethane varnish, to prevent the glaze from wearing off. Water based clear coats generally do not impart a yellow tone or yellow with age, as do oil based varnishes. Such yellowing can dramatically change the color of the underlying glaze. I once did a blue glaze in a family room. The next morning, the entire room looked green! I had to completely re-paint and glaze the room!

Where I work, we had a "Tissue-paper" wall up on display.

Sheets of white tissue-paper were applied to the just-painted sections on a wall, then lightly rolled over, "wrinkling" the paper slightly.
    When this dried for a day or two, contrasting glazes were lightly rubbed on. Looked kinda cool, but like anything "Faux", it JUST DIED after 3-4 years.

Sorry to burst a bubble, but you may regret doing this in a couple years....

Faron

I once hung a wallcovering selected by a designer. It consisted of randomly ripped pieces of very pulpy paper which were pasted and then stuck in random order to the wall. It did give an interesting look. Since it was not coated, it should be removeable like normal wallpaper whenever the customer gets tired of it.

Like everything picked by decorators, it has not cheap!