+ Reply to Thread

Default exterior paint question (brick/cement?)

I live in Athens, Greece and the outside walls of my house are brick with some sort of cement-like mixture smeared over them. (All houses here are like this) This cement-like mixture is what gets painted. (I don't know how to explain it)

The current paint job is from the 1980s or so. I see cracks but I'm not sure if these are cracks in the paint or this cement-like substance itself. I want to paint the house but I'm wondering how to handle these cracks. Any advice? I'm only painting one small section of the house as I live on the third floor. I'm going to paint the area adjacent to my veranda.

Thank you.

Default Re: exterior paint question (brick/cement?)

its either concrete parging or stucco, either or teh bad area should be chipped/sc****d off back until there is no loose spots then patched accordingly with the correct product. from there hit it with a coat of exterior grade primer and a couple coats of paint
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Being you are in Greece the existing is most likely a Lime Rendering.
    The proper coating in Greece would be more like.
    (1) lime wash
    (2) Lime Paint
    (3) Minerial paint

This is a common type of construction in Germany. Stucco, or "Putz" as it is called, is put over basically cement block construction.

Over the years I have observed how my mother-in-laws' apartment building in Germany was maintained. The workers would chisel out any structural cracks and then a coat of new Putz was painted over the entire surface. The "paint" was not actually paint, put a very thin, colored cement type product. It was amazing how a fifty year old building would come out looking like new. In later years, new energy efficient plastic windows were installed. The building looked virtually like new!

This may be the lime wash or paint to which Hank Bauer refers. Whereas I am fairly fluent in German, these technical terms are somewhat foreign to me. I do know that it was mixed from a dry powder at the job site.

Whereas stucco can be painted, once you commit to an acrylic paint, it is difficult to go back to the stucco wash. My tendency would be to stay with that which has been time tested for centuries in Europe.

Thank you for the replies.

After a bit of Googling and looking at photos/descriptions I think it's concrete parging.

So, does this mean that I have to "parge" again in order to repair the cracks? Does this mean that I can't use the same stucco I use on the inside walls? This area is permanently covered by a large awning and the cracks are thin, hairline cracks. (This side of the veranda received years of direct sun prior to me putting my the large awning. The other side, which didn't get the direct sun, is in much better shape.) I suppose they could be simply the paint cracking and peeling. A guy at a local hardware store here told me (after I described it to him) that I can get by with using powdered stucco.

Check on one of the following.
    KEIM this company makes products that were developed in Europe.
    Also see if you can find This product, THERMOCROMEX it is also a European product they have been in production for 150 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Bauer View Post
    Check on one of the following.
    KEIM this company makes products that were developed in Europe.
    Also see if you can find This product, THERMOCROMEX it is also a European product they have been in production for 150 years.
    I looked that up and it looks quite involved and I'm not sure that my problem is this big. These really look like hairline paint cracks and near the bottom of the wall the paint is definitely peeling.

Would a solution be to stucco over these rough spots of paint, sand and then paint over that? I briefly put a hand held sander to the wall with some coarse sandpaper and although some of the paint came off I can see that other bits of it are on there pretty solid. As I was looking at it I thought...why can't I just stucco over these rough areas, sand and paint? This wall, while outside, is under a large awning and doesn't get any sun or rain. Is this a solution or a big no-no (powdered stucco on an outside wall)?

Note: When I said "stucco over" I meant...spackle over...using powdered spackle on the outside wall.