+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuck Flag Pole

Default Stuck Flag Pole

Greetings:

I purchased a flag pole that came with a PVC sleeve. I installed the sleeve according to the instructions.

Over the past couple of years I have moved the flag pole back and forth from the installed sleeve to a flag pole attachment on my dock.

This year, I have been unable to remove the flag pole from the PVC sleeve. It is installed in a sandy area and I think a little sand got down between the sleeve and the pole...the sleeve is only about a 1/16" larger than the pole.

I sprayed half a can of WD-40 down the sleeve and I still can't move it. I also wrapped duct tape around the pole and put a pipe wrench on it to turn it...no luck. My neighbor and I have tried to pull it out of the sleeve...as you can expect, it is difficult to grip and pull up...no luck.

Any suggestion from anyone...thanks in advance...j

Default Re: Stuck Flag Pole

You've got to figure out a way to get a mechanical advantage. The easiest thing I can think of would be a nylon ratchet strap with a fulcrum and lever.

Wrap the strap as tightly around the pole and end of the lever as possible. If you can use the ratchet feature to help tighten and secure, all the better. Place the fulcrum (pivot point ) as close to the pole as possible, then exert as much force on the opposite end of the lever as possible. Just make sure your lever is up to the task so you don't injure yourself in the process.

You'll probably have to reset the lever and strap a few times, but this will work. The closer to the post the fulcrum is, the more mechanical advantage you'll have.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I was first skeptical about your idea and didn't think much of it. However, after thinking about it overnight, it made sence. My only modification to your idea was to wrap the pole with a wad of duct tape at a location 2 feet off the ground to help prevent the nylon strap from slipping up the flag pole. I wrapped the stap tightly around the pole below the duct tape, hooked it up to a tractor jack and it came out easily...great suggestion!!!,,,j

Whatever it takes to get the job done. The point of the ratchet strap was to be able to cinch the strap down super tight to prevent slippage. If you needed more grip than that, good call on the duct tape.

Glad it worked out for you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!