+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Burning Through A Lot of Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Good riddance indeed. In the mean time Phillips Halogena bulbs are a good alternative. There energy saving, dimmable, long lasting and, affordable.
    Well, appeciate everyone's comments, but in the meantime, 2 more of my PAR40 CFL's went out -- $19 down the ceramic drain -- now 13 CFL's from 2 brands have gone dead in 3 months since I've move in the house. I still don't know why.

In the meantime, there seems to be anti-CFL sentiment out there. I went to CFL's many years ago because lower power was less stress on my homes that had old wiring; then changing less often was an advantage although they too would succumb to electronics burnout from heat, and finally, they didn't heated up my home in the summer.

The new CFL's have a lot of color tempertaure choices and allowed me to dump that horrible soft white (it was yellow) color. Halogen, like Phillips Halogena and GE full spectrum, are only about 200 whiter (2900K instead of 2700K). I love the 4100-500K ones althought the 3500K are OK.

Today, LED's are not only very expensive, but also bulb-for-bulb, have less lumens than its equivalent. For example, if you're replacing a 60w (800-850 lumens) incandescdent or CFL (13w) with a LED, you're probably getting only 450 lumens and I think many LED manufacturers are using a loophole to not even publish lumens and just say "replaces 60w bulb".

CFL's are more expensive and I wouldn't want to drop one to avoid mercury contamination (remember mercury temperature guages we had 20 years ago ?). However, CFL's are the best choice right now.

In the meantime, I'm burning through a lot CFL's in a 1965 house which has never happened to me like this since I've been using circlelines and CFL's for 30 years.

It might be that the wiring in your home may be faulty. Perhaps there is too much voltage coming into the electrical sockets? Many of these CFLs require much less input than others.

Also, as for the LEDs, yes they are not as bright but they can actually be bought for ridiculously cheap.
    Be sure to use proper Hidden Content on your structures.

Quote Originally Posted by jokcoen View Post
    It might be that the wiring in your home may be faulty. Perhaps there is too much voltage coming into the electrical sockets? Many of these CFLs require much less input than others.

Also, as for the LEDs, yes they are not as bright but they can actually be bought for ridiculously cheap.
    (1) Voltage -- Virginia Dominion Electric pushes voltage to me. It's been hot here beginning May so I would expect the voltgae to go DOWN during the summer month sor in high demand times. I have an old Radio Shack multi-meter that I'll try, but the rate of CFL burn out would have resukt for say 10% over-voltgae.

(2) I can buy LED flashlights real cheap in job lot type stores, but the bulb replacements are still 4-5X CFL, but they seem to use 1/4 of energy of CFL which are already efficient.

Any follow-up on this? I replaced nearly all the non-dimmable, not ornamental light bulbs in my 1925 house with CFL's and 1 LED. I've not had any problems. Some fo the bulbs were even "used" since I took all my CFL's with me when I moved from our last house.

I mainly did it to both reduce cooling demands in summer and reduce electrical load on older light fixtures and wiring.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Any follow-up on this? I replaced nearly all the non-dimmable, not ornamental light bulbs in my 1925 house with CFL's and 1 LED. I've not had any problems. Some fo the bulbs were even "used" since I took all my CFL's with me when I moved from our last house.

I mainly did it to both reduce cooling demands in summer and reduce electrical load on older light fixtures and wiring.
    My batch of 24 bulbs continues to burn out while my Home Depot one is still lighting. Given that, I'm not spending my Sundays in football season cleaning fixtures in the possibility that voltage or resistence is too high. The retailer refunded the price (I paid for return postage which was $37 nicely packed). Basically, I assume this was just a bad product and have gone to Home Depot bulbs and settled for a 5000k color (instaed of 4100k) -- I just didn't think 16 bulbs could burn out after 2 months of service.

Like you, I started using CFL years ago to reduce load on old wiring systems and reduce heat byproduct -- I also liked the cool white so much better than warm white at night, and now with 3500 & 5000 available, I use incandecent & halogan only as a last resort like quick on/off duty.

It took a Chinese company to cheaply & efficiently make the circular glass for CFL's, plus the power company rebates. I used to pay $15 for 1 CFL 15 years ago. LED's will also get cheap when the Chinese gain efficiencies; look at what they're doing with solar panels. I'm not finding good prices for LED yet (except the $3 mini-flashlights) and the light output is still too low (plus I don't like warm white which is actually light yellow).

With CFL, don't believe that high price is high quality - - I think there's 2-3 manufacturers making key components for ALL brands and I don't see evidence of one lasting longer than another -- with something like tires, what you pay is what you get and don't want blowouts at 65mph.

That's because CFL's are a real dumb, commie idea. Stick with real light bulbs. Although LED's have some potential. Let's get the cost of those down & see. The CFL's are a soon to be thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer52 View Post
    That's because CFL's are a real dumb, commie idea. Stick with real light bulbs. Although LED's have some potential. Let's get the cost of those down & see. The CFL's are a soon to be thing of the past.
    The CFL in my lamp post out front saves me $20/year. ( It's cost <$5... meaning in 3 months, It's already paid for itself. How is that dumb?

THe incandescent bulbs generate so much waste heat, that the sconce 2' away from the thermostat is or living room affects the thermostat. I replaced those 1 bulb with a CFL's and the problem was solved.

Now on some open and historic fixtures where you want a clear bulb I like the look of incandescent better. LED"s should catch-up soon for that application.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

It's the commies who are manufacturing CFL's and LED's . . . leave it up them to get the price down. Except for $3 mini flashlights, never seen a full size LED bulb (like a PAR 30/40) for less than $25 . . . and those LED "60 watt" equivalents put out half of the lumens as halogen or CFL.

check the packaging on the CFLs. You will notice many of them are designed to be installed in a base down position.. this allows the heat to disapte away from the ballast. However most of us (me included) use them in the wrong application. not saying that is YOUR problem, but worth checkin into..

Quote Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
    check the packaging on the CFLs. You will notice many of them are designed to be installed in a base down position.. this allows the heat to disapte away from the ballast.
    I read about this years ago. CFL definitely don't like enclosed fixtures (I've done it so it jist means they last only about 1/2 the hours).

No, these are PAR40 which is specifically recessed (base up) lighting. The fact that a Home Depot CFL hasn't burned out tells me that the other brand (Maxim) that is burning out is the problem -- twenty-one (21) have burned out over 6 months. The HD ones are OK.
    When I wrote the original post, I just couldn't believe 8 had burned out. Now that I switched to another brand (HD), the problem appears to be going away as it should (8,000 hours life). These are $9 each (they charge more for 3500K & 5000K colors; 2700K go for about $5 and lower when the utilities give a subsidy).