+ Reply to Thread

Default Exterior toe kick

Hi everyone

I have a small 1947 house, sided in white. The exterior toe kick (the vertical piece of wood below the doorstep) has rotted out, at both front and rear entrances, although the doorsteps are both fine, some wear but no rot. I was thinking of tearing out the remaining wood of the toekicks and replacing them with a small piece of stone - marble or granite - to add a little pizzazz to my modest dwelling. I also thought that it would be relatively inexpensive - my plan was to buy the stone at a stone seller's "boneyard." Are there any unforeseen problems with this idea? Also, if it is viable, what is the best way to attach the stone slab to the house? I ran the idea by a handy friend, she thought I'd have to drill holes in the stone and attach it to the house with screws or bolts.

Thanks all!

Default Re: Exterior toe kick

I'd say not a good idea. Stone in that location is going to trap moisture against the sill. We already see that it is a damp location since the first piece of wood rotted out. The best plan would to properly flash against the sill, then replace the wood sub-threshold with a better quality piece of wood, with spacers behind it to maintain an airspace so it would not stay wet. wood/wood sandwiches are doomed, and putting masonry (stone, concrete, brick) directly against the sill is not advised unless some moisture barrier is introduced. The suggested screws or bolts are going to penetrate the flashing and give an ingress to water.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

The house was built in 47. It's not unusual to have this type of damage.

The best wood for this purpose is OAK. You can find it ready made for this purpose. Just trim it to your doors width, then L shape cut with both ends cut 1.5" wider than the opening and install it correctly. Don't leave it unfinished.

White oak, perhaps, red oak, no. Mahogany, western red cedar, redwood, or Spanish cedar would be great. Nothing with finger joints. No all-trim or Windsor one. Sometimes we use a piece of Trex in high-exposure wet areas, it's strong enough on edge to support the threshold, but you only need a 4' hunk of it.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I've used REDWOOD before for this purpose. It worked OK, for a lot less money than WHITE OAK. I just think that the oak is longer lasting.