+ Reply to Thread

Default What would YOU do?.....tub orientation

I know in the end, this is a matter of personal preference, but I'll ask anyway. Both of my bathrooms are very small. In one bathroom, the tub is next to the toilet. In the other bathroom, the tub is next to the lavatory. As usual, both fixtures share the same plumbing wall. When I redo both of my bathrooms, I was thinking about rotating the bathtub 180 degrees so that they no longer share a plumbing wall. The reason behind it is so that if work ever needs to be done on the supply or drain lines for the bathtub, it will be easier to get to them if they are not right next to another bathroom fixture. Both tubs are cast iron claw foot tubs and water supply lines and drain lines will be through the floor. However, I am beginning to wonder if this setup will look odd. If it were your bathroom, what would you do? Leave the 2 fixtures sharing a plumbing wall, or rotate the bathtub 180 degrees to allow for possible future access to supply & drain lines?
    peace,
    Sophie

Default Re: What would YOU do?.....tub orientation

I'd leave them on the shared wet wall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with both bathrooms sharing the plumbing wall. Why change?

However, if and while you have the wall wide open, check the plumbing and replace any part that needs attention.

If you tile the walls, keep extra tiles. You never know if you will need them or not.

If you are going to keep the house for a long time, and this is your second bathroom, do whatever you want. It is your house, enjoy it.

If you know you have a shorter time to be there, or this is your only bathroom, be conventional. It will make the sale easier without having to spend extra $.

Since you are going through the floor with the tub lines I don't see why it matters as long as you have space at the toilet or sink.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with both bathrooms sharing the plumbing wall. Why change?

However, if and while you have the wall wide open, check the plumbing and replace any part that needs attention.

If you tile the walls, keep extra tiles. You never know if you will need them or not.
    I stated in my original post why I wanted to change it. BTW...there is no plumbing in my house at this time. I've ripped it all out. Everything will be new.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougars1996 View Post
    If you are going to keep the house for a long time, and this is your second bathroom, do whatever you want. It is your house, enjoy it.

If you know you have a shorter time to be there, or this is your only bathroom, be conventional. It will make the sale easier without having to spend extra $.

Since you are going through the floor with the tub lines I don't see why it matters as long as you have space at the toilet or sink.

Good luck.
    That's just it.....space is extremely limited in both bathrooms.
    peace,
    Sophie

the only issue you might run into with the tub being at the opposite end is the vent for the tub drain. depending on how far the tub drain is from the main vent for the bathroom, the plumber might have to run a new vent pipe which could be somewhat costly.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it being tough to work on. Everything in our house is difficult to work on due to its age. If it were me, I would base my decision on which wall I preferred to face when I'm in the tub.

That said I would probably pay someone to fix our plumbing if there was a problem, so I would be letting them worry about the difficulties with two fixtures being next to each other.