+ Reply to Thread

Default application of floor tiles on walls

I would like to install self-sticking FLOOR tiles on a wall. Can this be done? Do I need additional adheasive on the wall?

Default Re: application of floor tiles on walls

They should stick just fine, but I wouldn't recommend doing so. It's bad enough using this type of product on the floor, it's going to be even worse using it on the wall. When you get tired of it you're going to then have adhesive residue all over the wall to contend with.

Additionally, this product is not water proof nor does it do well in heat or direct sunlight, so if any of these conditions exist, I would strongly advise against using it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i second a spruce though. i have seen this type of tile used many times locally by slumlord types in apartments and small business's. in every case they are bubling up and creating a trip hazard within months.

ive never seen them used on walls
    fire up the saw and make some dust

One tenant did it to me one time. He put stick on tiles around THE STOVE/RANGE.

He eventually moved out, and when I discovered this I replaced them with ceramic tiles.

floor tiles belong on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    floor tiles belong on the floor.
    And self stick tiles belong in the garbage!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

preach it father spruce, preach that gospel
    jalelulah
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Actually, Spruce, good quality square no wax self stick floor tiles are very useful for rental properties.

They are inexpensive and can be easily replaced after every abusive tenant. And when they are new, they make it easier to rent the place.

The 29 cent type are garbage, I agree.

thanks for your useful and needed info. I was trying to get away from the seemingly more labor intensive installation of ceramic tiles. I'm a newby at this remodeling thing.

Quote Originally Posted by joaus View Post
    thanks for your useful and needed info. I was trying to get away from the seemingly more labor intensive installation of ceramic tiles. I'm a newby at this remodeling thing.
    Keep in mind that the quality of your remodel will only be as good as the materials and workmanship used in the process. That does not mean that you have to buy diamond studded materials and have them professionally installed, but it does mean not intentionally using cheap garbage just because it's cheap.

You also must know your limitations as a DIY'r, if you can do the work yourself with a little assistance from us or other information sources great, but hiring a pro for things beyond your abilities is the prudent thing to do. Quality does not necessarily mean expensive. You will pay a little more up front for it, but it's going to look better and last longer. Doing things right the first time is ALWAYS cheaper than doing them wrong and having to do it over.

Peel and stick tile is not meant for walls, nor will it hold up near heat or water, so using it as a kitchen backsplash, for example, is out. This type of material is also cheap, so it's going to look cheap once installed. If you'd prefer tile, then get bids on the work you want done and choose the one that suits your needs the best from the contractor you like the best - again, cheap is not always best, and neither is most expensive.