+ Reply to Thread

Question Challenging Ceiling FAN Brace & Box Installation

I need to put up a ceiling brace for a fan and the ceiling is 3-1/2 inches lower than the floor joist above.

What to do?

I've put up at least a dozen ceiing fans before, but never one on a ceiling that's so far from the joist.

I thought of using long 12-24 Hex bolts to substitute for the two short ones that attach the box to the brace, but I'm thinking that's too much of an unstable suspension for a moving fan.

I have full access from the ceiling above and I already have the hole drilled in the ceiling. Everything's ready for mounting ... the question is HOW!

Is there a spacer-type extension available for a 4" Round Box? Does anyone have any ideas?

Default Re: Challenging Ceiling FAN Brace & Box Installation

If you have access, why not nail two short pieces 2 X 6 or 2 X 8' to the rafters with the bottom even with the ceiling.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    If you have access, why not nail two short pieces 2 X 6 or 2 X 8' to the rafters with the bottom even with the ceiling.

Jack

That would be my suggestion as well, and make sure you're using a fan rated box.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Questions for TheLatinpoet: What kind of access do you have? what's on top of the ceiling? a second floor or an attic?

All good answers but when I don't have access above a fan and the structure is sound but recessed, I sometimes use an ordinary metal octagon box and 4" long #10 or 1/4" lag bolts to directly support the yoke on the fan.
    If I need to fill the gap because the 1.5" deep box is not flush with the ceiling I used a 1.5" box extension.

I know I assume some liability but Art 314.27(C) and 422.18 allows it and so do the inspectors around here. Actually this method seeems more rigid than fan rated boxes, which I normally use.

I wonder if anyone else has done something like this?

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com