+ Reply to Thread

Default Acrylic shower pans with tile -how do you get the membrane under the shower pan?

I get the feeling this is blasphemy, but we will be putting in an acrylic shower pan with 3 tile walls during our bathroom remodel. How to you get the membrane under the pan- same question for the tub with 3 wall surround at the opposite end of the room. Thanks again for your input.
    Sharon
    PS You only get to tell me to put tile on the shower floor, if you clean the floors of your own showers on a weekly basis! As the cook, chef and chief shower cleaner, I do not want to deal with grout on a tile floor- been there done that- acrylic saves me about 30 minutes per shower floor, and I don't have to use a lot of my former navy vocabulary words.

Default Re: Acrylic shower pans with tile -how do you get the membrane under the shower pan?

I am unclear on what you're asking. Are you trying to install a new acrylic pan or overlay an existing pan with an acrylic liner?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Acrylic shower pans with tile -how do you get the membrane under the shower pan?

i second that thought spruce, and the whole cooking cleaning thing whats that all about. possible spammmer
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Sharon,

If I understand you correctly.....

A factory made shower pan has a flange on it. That flange rests against the studs surrounding the shower.If you elect to use a membrane against the studs, such as tar paper or sheet plastic, then the membrane rests atop the pan, inside the flange, adhered to the flange.

If you elect to use a surface waterproofing, the cement board rests just above the flange, that slight gap is either siliconed closed or bridges by your surface waterproofing, which overlaps the flange.

There is no liner under the factory pan.

Is that what you meant?

Thanks for the info
    My worry is I have kids that flood everything and I couldn't visualize how to marry the membrane to the pan. I didn't know you could attach it to the flange.

This will be a new pan to replace the old one because there was a leak between the shower pan and floor for years before we bought the house. There was enough water going out the door frame onto the floor that by the time we noticed it the ply of the floor was rottted.
    the whole bathroom will be gutted down to the floor joists to check for water damage and then rebuilt.

the cooking and cleaning comment is legit fellas, I hadn't seen any thing about shower pans and tile so I didn't know if it was too low end for most of you to do, so I provided my rationale and an attempt at humor.

all thats needed is a simple membrane type flashing over the flange up the wall then install denseshield, from there water proof the seams then tile

There are few questions that cross this forum that we cannot provide an answer for, so don't be shy, just toss 'em out there. The only request is that you be as descriptive as possible about your question/situation/whatever the issue is, so that we may have a better understanding of the problem and address your particular needs.

I personally agree with your sentiments on tile. I don't like the stuff, I much prefer a solid surround and pan over tile and grout. Solid surrounds (cultured stone ) are slightly more expensive, but well worth it IMHO.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Question Re: Acrylic shower pans with tile -how do you get the membrane under the shower pan?

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    all thats needed is a simple membrane type flashing over the flange up the wall then install denseshield, from there water proof the seams then tile
    Okay, must be my blonde kicking in but I am confused.
    You are saying 1st frame, then #2 membrane, #3 dens shield, #4 waterproof the seams, then 5th step is tile?
    I thought it was 1 Frame, 2 denshield, 3 (thinset) membrane waterproof seams (? are we talking seams of the membrane with membrane product, or alkali tape in mortar on denshield????) 4 tile
    my brain hurts!

this sorta thing can be really tricky for diyers. the prep work and making something water tight is tough especially if you havent done it before.

when it comes to windows you dont want to try and follow what i do to make it water tight, its a ton of work and intricate detail, similar steps can be used for a shower