+ Reply to Thread

Default beadboard with existing chair rail & baseboard

We recently bought a 1910 cottage and are wanting to add beadboard wainscoting in the dining room. There is an existing chair rail and original baseboards. Do I have to remove these before installing the beadboard? Or what alternatives do we have? Thanks!

Default Re: beadboard with existing chair rail & baseboard

Hey,

If you buy full sheets of of bead board and cut them to fit in between the the base board and chair rail it might work, but I wouldn't recommend it. Chances are that the base board isn't 100% level with the chair rail and you will end up gaps on every piece installed. I would remove one or the other before installing the bead board. Remove which ever one the bead board doesn't butt up against the best. Good luck- Gregg

definitely remove the chair rail, as it wont have a lip which sits over top of the chair rail, depending on the baseboard detail. chances are there is a 1/4 round on top of the base i would remove that so the wainscotting sits down on the base.

one thing to consider with large panels is that its harder make out for any outlets in the wall. using the individual peices does take longer but makes cutouts much easier. and you can blind nail through the tongue as opposed to face nailing large panels which will require filling
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I think that's a tough question to answer when we don't know (1) What the chair rail looks like or how thick it is (2) what the base board looks like and how thick it is and (3) how thick the bead board is that you will be using.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I think that's a tough question to answer when we don't know (1) What the chair rail looks like or how thick it is (2) what the base board looks like and how thick it is and (3) how thick the bead board is that you will be using.

Jack
    Im with Jack on this one. If the thickness of the chair rail and base board have a thick enough reveal to acceot the bead board it may be possible to install it witout removing the trim.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content