+ Reply to Thread

Default toilet dont flush

Hello my name is Eric, and we are having a problem with our toilet flushing, it wont flush down solids or liquids, we have tried everything plunging, closet auger, and some chemicals, most of the problem started when we replaced the wax ring because it was leaking and it was done by a licensed plumber they even came back over and pulled the toilet back up just to make sure there was some wax blocking the drain, All the other drains in the house work just fine. Please help us if you can.

Default Re: toilet dont flush

Check to make sure the upper soil stack part of the drain pipe is clear of any obstruction that may prevent sufficient air from allowing a good flush.

The soil stack is a 4" cast iron or plastic pipe that extends thru the roof-----the plumbing won't flush/drain properly unless sufficient air is allowed to enter the top of the soil stack; sometimes a bird, bees, or a critter may build a nest in the stack, thus blocking air.

The leak in the former wax ring may have been sufficient to allow enough air in for a half-decent flush.

Go up to the roof with a flashlight and a thin heavy weight on a rope; shine the lite down the stack; if you see an obstruction, break it up with the weighted rope line.

If there's a bee or wasp nest in there use a wasp nest spray after dark, or very early at first light, to knock them out---temporarily cover the stack & get off the roof.

Walking on a roof can be hazardous; avoid walking on a wet roof; wear rubber-sole shoes & use a safety rope tied to the chimney for support.
    Last edited by Pelton; 06-07-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Something in your description is unclear here:

You say that your plumber came back, pulled out the toilet "just to make sure there was some wax blocking the drain". Please explain what you mean by that.

What to do?

Make sure your toilet is clear. Pull it out again, bring it outdoor and make sure there is nothing inside that can block solids. Cloth, paper towel, napkins, small hard objects, little toys, pencil, straws, erasers, etc. You'll be amazed what I, being a landlord, have found inside toilets. Check the tank as well, to verify that at least 1.6 gal of water is being flushed down, everytime.

Next, make sure the drain is free and clear. Test it by pouring a bucket of water into it.

Then, as suggested, look into the vent for obstructions. Unlikely, but possible IMHO.

If everything checks OK, reinstall toilet using a NEW wax ring.

Good luck.

thanks for your help, it turns out that the plumbing system isnt vented!! I'm renting the house and it sounds like the landlord dont wanna mess with the problem. She stated it has worked fine all these yours until recently and she dont thinks that the problem.

You don't have to accept your landlord's refusal to bring her house up to code, because "it was fine all those years..."

But it's not fine now, and she has a responsibility to provide you with a house in which the toilets flush properly. It's true in every state.

I would type her letter and keep a copy, asking her to remedy the situation. Be firm but polite. Ask for all repairs to be completed by a certain date. Consult a landlord-tenant lawyer, you may be able to hire a contractor to fix it and charge the landlord for the repair, if she chooses to do nothing.

Just don't stop paying rent.

Good luck.

I too am a landlord and know for sure it is incumbent upon me to provide functioning plumbing whether it is my fault or not. True in every state.

Do as described and write a letter. Also contact the local plumbing inspector to get their thoughts. You might want to include that information in your letter to the landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by paxtonstang86 View Post
    thanks for your help, it turns out that the plumbing system isnt vented!! I'm renting the house and it sounds like the landlord dont wanna mess with the problem. She stated it has worked fine all these yours until recently and she dont thinks that the problem.
    Venting issue is missed many times very easily. Hopefully you've solved your problem by now.