+ Reply to Thread

Default Squishies coming out of the walls!

The grout in my tiled 1 year old bathroom appears to be coming out. Especially when wet, during showers, the grout will expand out of the wall--when dry it will shrink back inside. Is there anyway to fix this problem? Can anyone recommend a good fix and product? Worried about future water damage! Much thanks!

Default Re: Squishies coming out of the walls!

It sounds like you already have water problems, and I bet that the grout was not installed correctly and was never sealed. Do you have tiles separating too?

If not, I would remove and clean all loose grout, when everything is dry.
    Regrout, keep it dry and let it cure for a few days, then seal it.

Get the best seal you can find, read the label carefully and apply it accordingly.

Note: even the best seal won't last forever. You will have to repeat later.

If the tile was set with mastic, then it's the mastic running out as it re-liquifies. If it was set with thinset or thickset, nothing should be running out, unless it was grouted incorrectly as well.
    I'd be tempted to remove as much of the mystery substance from around one tile and see if it could be pried loose. If it comes off revealing goo underneath, you need a new tile job.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

im with casey on this one, after a year you shouldnt have any problems with the tile and no water issues otherwise someone screwed up and it has to be redone
    fire up the saw and make some dust

It too sounds to me like the tile and grout were both pre-mixed (mastic in a bucket) and applied to tiles that see water.

Did the installer give you any sort of warranty?

If this is a shower without a tub, I'd be worried about the shower pan too. If a tub or a pre-made shower pan, count your blessings and re-do the walls.

With the problem you describe, you already have water infiltrating the wall. If this has been going on for a year, I would say that there is a 99% chance that mold, mildew, and fungus is growing in places you cannot see.

I recommend removing all of the tile, removing the substrate (what the tile is glued to), properly drying, disinfecting, and repairing any affected framing lumber, and reinstalling the whole works properly. You will probably break some of the tiles in the process; plan to purchase all new tiles for the area since the new tiles (even the same brand & color) will be from a different lot and unlikely to match perfectly.

Proper installation is on a substrate of cement board or other material specifically designed for tile; attachment of the tile using thin- or thickset mortar (depending on the tile; never mastic); grouting (with grout, not caluk) and sealing the grout with grout sealer.

Yes, that sounds extreme, but it sounds like it wasn't done right in the first place, and if it's not done right there's no reliable way to fix it without a complete redo. Lipstick on a pig and all that.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 06-12-2011 at 11:40 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

What fencepost said plus;

You'll need to ass a waterproofing to the cement board (CBU) as tile + grout + thinset + CBU is NOT waterproof. You can use a sheet plastic behind the CBU or a surface applied membrane such as Kerdi, Hydroban, Hydro Barrier or redguard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    With the problem you describe, you already have water infiltrating the wall. If this has been going on for a year, I would say that there is a 99% chance that mold, mildew, and fungus is growing in places you cannot see.

I recommend removing all of the tile, removing the substrate (what the tile is glued to), properly drying, disinfecting, and repairing any affected framing lumber, and reinstalling the whole works properly. You will probably break some of the tiles in the process; plan to purchase all new tiles for the area since the new tiles (even the same brand & color) will be from a different lot and unlikely to match perfectly.

Proper installation is on a substrate of cement board or other material specifically designed for tile; attachment of the tile using thin- or thickset mortar (depending on the tile; never mastic); grouting (with grout, not caluk) and sealing the grout with grout sealer.

Yes, that sounds extreme, but it sounds like it wasn't done right in the first place, and if it's not done right there's no reliable way to fix it without a complete redo. Lipstick on a pig and all that.
    In my opinion, Fencepost is right. You've to redo all after removing, drying, disinfecting and repairing...It may be huge but it worth the effort.