+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up Re: Plumbing leak between floors

Yes, "newbie" is a good descriptive term. By my moniker, you may have guessed that home repair is not my specialty. Global telecommunications systems are a snap, a leaky shower has me on the ropes.

However, I have conducted more investigation and found that the 1/2" tube that the tub spout goes onto was dented from where the McGilla Gorilla who installed it over-tightened the tub spout screw. I didn't cut any holes in the walls or ceiling; I simply turned the spout to an angle where it won't leak and re-tightened it. Now I have a different issue. How do I remove the damaged pipe which is soldered in. Getting a blow torch on the joint will mean cutting for sure unless I can heat it up away from the joint and remove it.

Any ideas.

Thanks so much for all the excellent suggestions so far. I was pleasantly surprised. Other forums have not been as professional and responsive as this one has been for me. I plan to revisit often.

Default Re: Plumbing leak between floors

Can you better describe how that tub spout slip-on pipe is damaged? What exactly is wrong with it?

Thinking inside the box would result in our telling you to cut a hole in the hallway wall so that you can unsolder that pipe at the vertical socket of the elbow the pipe is soldered into.

You would then solder a new pipe of the same length into a new elbow, fit that assembly into position and solder it in place. (Or, that's what I'd do if I could only think inside the box.)

But, if you better describe what's wrong with the pipe, we may be able to provide you with a different solution that might not require your cutting any holes in your walls.

Is it possible, for example, to cut that pipe much shorter and solder on one of these onto it:

Then, just use a screw-on style of tub spout instead of a slip-on style.

Alternatively, if the pipe is damaged, but still straight, could you not simply use a Q-tip to dissolve the copper oxide around the damaged area, immediately flush with water, dry, flux and heat the pipe to melt solder onto the damaged area. Then, using a sand cloth or a flat file, remove the blob of solder at the bottom of the pipe, and put a new slip-on spout on?

If you could post a picture of the damaged pipe, that'd be the most helpful.