+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing Defective Shingles. Which new shingles should I buy?

I realized my home had the Certainteed Sealdon 25 defective shingles. I filed a claim with the class action lawsuit and was able to get some money for roof replacement. Now I am ready to have the shingles replaced.

My roofing contractor gave me a quote for 2 types of shingles; Certainteed Landmark 30 and the Owens Corning Oakridge 30. I donít know the per square price for each, but I could choose either style for the same total job price.

In the past, both Certainteed and Owens Corning made defective shingles which caused premature failure, so Iím so worried that I may purchase potentially bad shingles again.

If anyone could provide me insight and suggestions as to what I should do, it would greatly be appreciated. I live northeast of Green Bay, Wisconsin. Thank you.

Default Re: Replacing Defective Shingles. Which new shingles should I buy?

Can you specifically say what was wrong with your shingles that made you eligible for a refund?

I've had good luck with GAF shingles. They make "lifetime" asphalt shingles for a little more money as well. But your choice is up to you.

Why not call local roofing suppliers (where roofers buy their stuff) or other roofing contractors and ask for their opinion? ask them what brand is the best seller in the area, what brand has the least complaints, etc.

And when it comes to the actual installation, I use #30 paper and roofing nails (no staples).

from my experience go with teh owens corning. ive used several certainteed products and find them to be lower quality than other big name brands
    fire up the saw and make some dust

In response to dj1:

The shingles were curling, splitting, cracking, and the asphalt was coming off. The roof lasted 10 years. The main problem was caused by the shingle backing composition and the shingles were mainly sold in the Midwest. For more Certainteed information go to certainteedshinglesettlement.com.

Dj1, your location shows southern California so you are probably unaware of this problem. You can drive around our county and easily see which roofs have failed. Fortunately, many of them have been replaced by now. Also, my contractor is coming over today and Iíll sayÖ #30 paper and roofing nails (no staples)!!.

Thank you dj1 and jkirk.

if the shingles are doing that after only 10 years theres definitely something wrong. the only two times ive seen that were
    a) cheap shingles from a building supply cheapy clearance centre
    b) roofs which had teh shingles applied directly on top of 2" foil faced foam which basically bakes the shingle
    fire up the saw and make some dust