I'm installing an irrigation system and I need to replace the tee that goes into my house to use one side for my sprinklers (instead of an existing hose bib). The existing installation is 3/4" copper pipe (from the meter) to a compression fitting, then the main shutoff 1", then a galvanized union 1", then the tee into the house and hose bib. After the tee, I'll have a pressure vacuum breaker, then SCH 40 PVC to the irrigation valves.

When I replace the tee, must I use galvanized again? I would prefer pvc with threaded connections (SCH 80?), but this is above ground. If I wrap it in pipe insulation and electrical tape, will it be to code? This is PVC after the main house shutoff just outside the structure.