+ Reply to Thread

Question Front porch roof ideas

Hello all. I have a ranch home that could use a covered front porch since it is south-facing and gets full sun, rain and weather. I am trying to get an idea of what style would work there though. The house is L shaped with two gabled roofs meeting each other. The porch is in the middle of the L where these two roofs meet with a brick/concrete base and limestone steps and railing. I would like to do a gabled roof with the V facing the front of the house with a column on the left side and wooden rail to run from the post to the house. I am trying to figure out if I can do this or I would have to just change the existing roofline for the right gable roof and extend about a third of it over the porch. I don't know if you could have the new gable meet the existing gable in a V and still properly drain through a valley or gutter. My gutters right now run the length of the L in the front of the house with downspouts at the ends. Any ideas, plans or feedback would be appreciated.

Default Re: Front porch roof ideas

It's inadvisable to have two gables meet with a valley between. It doesn't look good, and it doesn't drain water well. Even if you added a cricket roof to take care of the runoff problem you'd still be stuck with the limited aesthetic appeal. Much better IMO to run a shed roof one way of the other. I'd suggest longitudinal with the face of the house.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Default Re: Front porch roof ideas

Thanks Casey. I see your point and I didn't even know if it was possible. So you would change the slope of the roof as it comes down over that section of the porch? Back of the porch to the front I mean. Then I would just alter the valley on the side and shorten the gutter on that end.