+ Reply to Thread

Question any sugesstions on what i can do

You hear so often about how contractors are mistreating clients and the clients horror story, what about a contractors point of view? They get took over the coals to, my story is this, I love working, I'm a young guy in the process of starting my own contracting business, now I have a full time job to support my family until the other takes off, and I started a job building a deck for this lady who seemed "nice" I was there one day and got some frame work done and started laying deck boards on part of the completed frame, at the end of the day I went home reviewing my code books as always and noticed a few things I would have to change around no big deal, in the mean time the lady decided to start finishing the deck without my consent, and upon realizing the frame wasn't finished yet she decided to claim I'm an incompetent person and slandered my name and business, all before even letting me go back and make it right and finish, I've made multiple attempts to make things right but she refuses to let me correct and finish anything, instead demands I return the entire material cost and that she keeps all materials at my expense, and she threatened me with my own trailer telling me I could not have it back... I returned with the sheriff and got my trailer making her extremely mad. Any thoughts are really desired please help

O

Default Re: any sugesstions on what i can do

is there a contract, it should clearly state that the deck will be completed by "YOU" not the homeowner, therefore she was not supposed to be on the thing unless you are there to go over things other wise its not her deck until you hand it over to her

ive had nightmare clients. too many to mention and not worth the headache. dont get me started on interior designers either, they start changing things before the homeowner sees whats there and without telling them. come time for the bill and they flip out at us and we have to explain every time the designer opens their mouth its $2500 gone
    fire up the saw and make some dust

We don't know what's her story about what happened here.

A judge once said: there's the contractor's version of what happened, there's the homeowner's version and then there's the truth.

But from your description: if you have a written contract, were fired off the job without a cause, weren't given a chance to finish what's on the contract, weren't paid in full - you have the LIEN LAW on your side.

Contact your state board for instructions on how to go this route.

Yea, on all of my contracts I have written we propose to furnish all materials, and work or supervision of project described, so she accepted it and then she said it wasn't worth the paper it was on, I offered to tear it down and refund the money but she demands to keep the materials too, it seems like a scam to get a half built deck and materials at my expense, she literally is going out of her way to prevent me from fixing it

While I can't give you any legal advice, I can tell you what I would do or won't do.

I would not tear up the contract. I would not refund any of the deposit and/or progressive payments, if any.

Do the materials that she is holding and will not release back to you amount to more money than she paid you so far? If yes, then you're out some money.

Like I suggested before, call your state board for advise. You definitely have a case here. A judge may award you the full amount of the contract, whether or not she lets you finish the job.

Good luck.

I kept the contract and have handled everything professionally, the materials do not amount more than advance payment yet, but if she had done this three days or so later I would have been out a lot more than the upfront payment, you guys have shed new light on the matter thank you much, and the only thing I'm worried about most is that it wasn't up to code yet but only bc it wasn't finished yet