+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Cool HVAC guy installed without permit no cold air etc...help!!

We hired an HVAC guy who installed it for us. over 3 weeks. here are my Qs:

It took the whole day to bring the inside temperature down to 70 F. The air that comes out is not cold enough and the a/c stops only for 5 min and run none stop for 20 min. the outside temp was 84-89 F. to maintain the temp inside at 72F. our House is 2000 sq ft of split with one high cathedral sealing.

Also the HVAC guy never took a permit out. when we asked at the finishing of the work he said he will get it and give it. can this be done. We went in the attic and saw a very sloppy job--they didnt tie the insulations even to the ducks ( the foil thingys) the attic fan was broken and they were to fix it. NOw they cant do it since they placed the unite just below it and therre is not space.....we really want an inspection done asap but since he did not take the permit out I am not sure how we can get the inspection? please suggest any solution. what is the penality of getting work done without township permit....
    Also the come a strange sound when the unit turn on.
    Please helppppppppppp

Default Re: HVAC guy installed without permit no cold air etc...help!!

Can't advise too much without knowing what the stipulations of the contract were. Technically, a permit must be pulled and several inspections occur during the course of installation.

Technically speaking, regardless of contract, a permit would be required, and if one was not pulled, then likely corners were cut and you paid top dollar anyway. Contact your building authority and apprise them of the situation, the brunt of the fault will lay with the "contractor" who misinformed you, didn't pull the permit, and did the job without inspection.

How all this will work in your favor will depend on the will of the gods and the court system in your area. Where I'm at, the contractor would be seriously screwed!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Things like this happen all the time, and this is how to remedy the mess:

First, you will need to go to the building department in your town, explain what happened and see their reaction.

Basically, the law can't help those who don't follow it...or break it.

Second, they will probably tell you to pull a permit, or to get another contractor to come in, pull a permit and take over the job. Be careful here: many contractors don't like to step into someone else's mess, and if you find one who will, get ready to pay. Oh, I almost forgot, you will be kindly asked to pay a penalty/fine. How much? you will be at the mercy of the city.

Then you can deal with this unqualified a/c man. If you have something in writing, you can go to court or the state board. If you're lucky there will be some bond money to pay for damages, but don't count on it.

Thank you so much for quick reply posts...they are very helpful. I have always turned to this message board--a life saver.

We have asked the HVAC guy to give us the permit. We plan to give him this long weekend and up till Tuesday. IF we dont hear from him we will go to the building administrator in the town, explain the situation pay the fine etc.and do as suggested

This guy has done three houses next door over last 5 years and we have asked the people how the A/C is working and all. Mind you all houses were done before new occupants so they have no idea if the owns pulled permits etc.

They have no complained though. so hopefully there are no major problems and dangerous ones ( keeping my fingers crossed)

Thanks any ways and i will keep you all posted.

Oh, and another thing:

Ask him if he would like to get a chance and fix the problem, since he has done some decent work in the area.

Sometimes a contractor will do that rather than suffer the consequences.

But be firm on the time you give him and don't let him string you around.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Oh, and another thing:

Ask him if he would like to get a chance and fix the problem, since he has done some decent work in the area.

Sometimes a contractor will do that rather than suffer the consequences.

But be firm on the time you give him and don't let him string you around.
    I would second this idea. Unlike many contractors, I don't have the dim view of unlicensed contracting or seemingly "bad" contracting that many of my fellow tradesmen have. That does NOT mean that I'm tolerant of bad workmanship or screwing the public, I will be the first to say burn them at the stake if this is the case!

It is possible that the person you hired had a bad day or their employee had a bad day and something went awry. Give the guy a chance to fix the mistake with the consequences known. If they don't, go to your local authority, both the permit office and the contractors board. If they do, let the matter drop, but let this be a lesson learned to do a little checking into the people you hire in the future.

Again, I have no judgment on you or the person you hired, but shoddy workmanship is NEVER permissible!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!