+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default Central Brass Crappy Ceramic Stems vs CLR?

    Hey I have a Central Brass faucet with the Ceramic Stems that should last FOREVER...or at least longer than a few years.

    Well Central Brass, a company making faucets with both washers and ceramic stems don't WARRANT their products more than a year on the working part of the faucet. EVEN for regular homeowners!

    I had a plumber talk me into BUYING Central Brass (from Cleveland, OH) and he said the faucets were durable. And truthfully if you feel the faucet they feel heavy, nice cast brass bodies. But after a while they drip.

    You walk into a home center and all the big name brands they have lifetime warranties on the faucets. And even the replacement parts I have seen for American Standard for one are less costly than Central BY FAR.

    Well Central Brass offers only a ONE YEAR warranty and that's it. The price of the replacement valve is $32! On their website they say it retails for like $25...good luck finding that price!

    Well I wasn't paying tribute to Central Brass so I soaked a bad Central Brass Ceramic Stem in CLR and let it sit for overnight and when I rinsed it off and reinstalled it stopped the drip...I don't know for how long!

    But EVERYONE...STAY AWAY from Central Brass. Buy anything that is warranted and is a big company.

    Central Brass SUCKS, when you considered they won't warrant their products like their competitors will.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South*East
    Posts
    1,217

    Default Re: Central Brass Crappy Ceramic Stems vs CLR?

    Central Brass has always been a builders grade faucet. In other words there junk. Go with name brands like Delta & Moen. In that order.

    John

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,692

    Default Re: Central Brass Crappy Ceramic Stems vs CLR?

    I know that Delta offers good warranties, even lifetime.

    Some parts are so expensive, that repairs are not economical. If that's the case, just replace the entire faucet.

    Never mess with faucets, angle stops and water supply lines. Replace them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Central Brass Crappy Ceramic Stems vs CLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Central Brass has always been a builders grade faucet. In other words there junk. Go with name brands like Delta & Moen. In that order.

    John
    Delta isn't Ceramic though? I hate those rings and springs. Moen seem ok, although I guess with any faucet you have to really examine them. They do all make cheesy ones at the budget end.

    I'm looking at American Standard as well. Kohler, look nice but are PRICEY!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Central Brass Crappy Ceramic Stems vs CLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I know that Delta offers good warranties, even lifetime.

    Some parts are so expensive, that repairs are not economical. If that's the case, just replace the entire faucet.

    Never mess with faucets, angle stops and water supply lines. Replace them.
    I totally agree with you. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to repair them. The warranties, I like to look at them as a sign they are confidnet in their products. I know how it works, they expect you to move or want something different. They offer it as a marketing thing. But they PLAN to only replace a certain amount which can't be too large or it would blow their budgets.

    Now Central Brass, I guess it's some marketing thing with the plumbers and supply houses. They have to be selling those parts and faucets cheaper to them and us home owners have to pay higher prices to protect the profit margains of the plumbing supply houses and the plumbers.

    Knowing that, as a DIY'er you are far better off going to a home center buying a QUALITY faucet with a good warranty and keep your receipts or register it.

    I'll avoid Central Brass!

    I don't mind swapping out parts. I just wanted to avoid changing faucets! Oh well, when the CLR Central Brass solution fails, I shall buy another faucet....just not Central Brass!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South*East
    Posts
    1,217

    Default Re: Central Brass Crappy Ceramic Stems vs CLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick from Pittsburgh View Post
    Delta isn't Ceramic though? I hate those rings and springs. Moen seem ok, although I guess with any faucet you have to really examine them. They do all make cheesy ones at the budget end.

    I'm looking at American Standard as well. Kohler, look nice but are PRICEY!
    If your looking for a faucet that can be repaired Kohler & American Standard are not the ones to buy. They change there design so often that no supply house can carry all the parts needed for there numerous design changes. They will order the parts for you, or you can order them yourself, and do without that use of the faucet while waiting for the part. That alone makes Delta & Moen the best choice. Both Delta and Moen have a life time warranty.

    John

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,692

    Default Re: Central Brass Crappy Ceramic Stems vs CLR?

    Let me add to John's suggestions.

    Stay away from the luxury brands, if you're looking for value and efficiency. I would.

    Moen and Delta are just fine. I like the fact that they are made in USA (I believe they are). Years ago it was all Price Pfister here in the west coast, but the factory went south down to Mexico and so did their quality while their prices went north.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8

    Wink Re: Central Brass Crappy Ceramic Stems vs CLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    If your looking for a faucet that can be repaired Kohler & American Standard are not the ones to buy. They change there design so often that no supply house can carry all the parts needed for there numerous design changes. They will order the parts for you, or you can order them yourself, and do without that use of the faucet while waiting for the part. That alone makes Delta & Moen the best choice. Both Delta and Moen have a life time warranty.

    John
    If you have a Delta or a Moen can you get a free part at the supply house? (if it fails and is under warranty)

    Also I was in Home Depot and the guy there said Delta was coming out with ceramic stems? He told that right NOW they are NOT ceramic.

    They feel like ceramic NOW. I just remember the 1980s when I was replacing those darn seats and springs all the time...and they weren't that cheap either. And the valves were PLASTIC.

    I don't mind WAITING on the part. I turned off the hot water side for a week while I debated should I rip it out or what. Fortunately I had another stem (busted) to stick in the HOLE while I soaked the newest bad stem in CLR.

    As it is I don't MIND waiting for the replacement part. (If the company will ship me a new one for free I'm fine with that...that's why you have 2 bathrooms!)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default Central Brass are terrible faucets, maybe I SHOULD go with Delta or Moen!

    Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Let me add to John's suggestions.

    Stay away from the luxury brands, if you're looking for value and efficiency. I would.

    Moen and Delta are just fine. I like the fact that they are made in USA (I believe they are). Years ago it was all Price Pfister here in the west coast, but the factory went south down to Mexico and so did their quality while their prices went north.
    Luxury brands aren't for me. I am NOT going to buy budget ones either. I wanted durability and reliability and Central Brass wasn't that!

    Now I just want to know if Delta's have what type of VALVES. Are they METAL or PLASTIC.

    I bought a kitchen faucet in the 1980s or late 1970s and it had plastic valves and rubber seats and springs and I would have to change those seats all the time. That ran into money since they were around $3 or $4. I THOUGHT it was "Delta" but maybe it was "Deltex" or something similiar to Delta. So that's one reason why AT FIRST I hear the name and cringe a bit.

    Now Central Brass, that's ingrained in my brain....piece of ....

    Now I have one faucet in my basement, someone said it was Chicago Brass, not sure, it was an antique sitting my garage and was from the 1950s. I changed washers in that ONCE. I use it daily. Still good. The stems where inside some long brass tubes, so when you pulled them out you had to "unscrew" the stem from it's tube to stick on the washer.

    Now THAT'S a faucet!

    I think I should got to supply house and see what a Delta stem LOOKS like.

    Thanks guys you've been a great help.

    By the way, made in America! (That's a reason ALONE) I'm tired of this crap from China.

    I saw a valve recently stamped AMERICAN VALVE COMPANY...made in China!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •