+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Support Post on front overhang on porch

I can't remember what they are called but the supports under the posts are bad.I removed one from under a post and it looks like it is cut from a two by four.It is 9 3/4 wide by 2 1/2 deep and cut on 45 degree on each end.Naturally four are cut on each post.I have tried to cut the same on my miter saw,but can't seem to get them where they form a square.Could I possibly use a piece a piece of concrete block the same thickness or treated 2x12 or 2x10.

Default Re: Support Post on front overhang on porch

i kind of have an idea of what your describing but you should post a picture to make it a bit clearer
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Unable to post picture.Sorry my description was not clear.The four pieces join to each other and form a square for the post to sit on.Does that make it any more clear?Being only as wide as they are it leaves a space in the middle.Is the space left for drainage?
    Last edited by tggringo; 05-26-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Better description

so it sounds like its nothing more than a pressure treated block underneath the post for it to sit on. this isnt much good for strength or for frost heave, teh post should sit on a concrete pier that is 4 ft in the ground. this is much more stable and frost cant act on it. the post should be anchored to teh pier with a post bracket
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I live in Southeast Texas----WE DO NOT GET FROST THANK GOODNESS

It sounds to me like it was a decorative feature rather than anything else. Is this what you're referring to?

Click this link and then click the pic in the left upper corner. You're looking at the plate under the post, not the trim itself.
    http://www.deckaccent.com/NPC-Post-Base-Trim.aspx

Whatever the case, replacing it back the way you found it shouldn't be a big deal, that is, get lumber of the correct dimensions that you can cut to replicate the exact dimension you have. From there it's as easy as cutting the miters and assembling the frame, then sliding it under the post.

If you're having problems with the miter cuts, it's quite likely that your chop saw is out of whack. Set it at 45* and cut the end of two pieces of scrap. Align the cuts in a square that you trust is accurate and see how the cuts shape up. From there you adjust your saw plus or minus a degree or fraction thereof until you get the cut to fit exactly as you want it to. Once you have it, lock the saw in that position and you should be good to go. I'd still do a test set and cut a full set of pieces and assemble them, fine tuning the saw as necessary.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!