+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing butcher block into older kitchen

Hello everyone, looking for a few ideas. We have an older kitchen, probably redone in the 1950s and it had an older portable dishwasher with a laminate board top. I am installing a new built in dishwasher, planning to tackle the counter top above it next. I wanted to get the dishwasher in first to see what I am up against.

I was hoping to install an end cut butcher block above the dihwasher but the gap I am going to have is 24 3/4" width and 27" depth. A standard butcher block would be 24x25 so i am going to have some gaps. I am going to assume there is going to be some expansion/cotraction as well. And I doubt everything is square, it is a build in place counter top currently there, screwed in from the top. Odds of moving it without damaging it are low in my opinion.

I was thinking about filling the gap wih some thinner wood to help me square up the opening and then a small amount of caulk for expansion/contraction... any other ideas?

Thanks
    --Kevin

Default Re: Installing butcher block into older kitchen

I just finished a complete kitchen remodel job, including an installation of a dishwasher where there was none before. I placed the new dishwasher between the sink base cabinet and another base cabinet, then built a new tile countertop for the entire length.

However, your situation is different and obviously you don't want to redo the entire countertop. If you can't find a piece of butcher block in the size you need, doing it like you plan might work. It may not look professional, but it will fly...

Other things to consider: 1. The drain. A built in dishwasher drain has to go to an air gap under the sink, then to the garbage disposer, unlike the drain of a portable dishwasher. 2. The hot water supply. 3. The electrical supply.

I hope you can do these yourself, otherwise get a pro.

Good luck.