+ Reply to Thread

Default installing toilet and kitchen in basement, below where sewer pipe goes out

What are my options? I'm assuming that a sump pit is that answer to my question. Are there any better options, do the sump pits get clogged? Would I need one for the raw sewage and one for the kitchen or washing machine.

Andrew

Default Re: installing toilet and kitchen in basement, below where sewer pipe goes out

You have 2 options, one is a ejector pump system that simple pumps the sewage up to the waste line the second is a maceration pumpsystem that has a built in grinder and pump.

With the ejector type pump you should only use for toilet paper, urine, water and feces. The maceration pump has a built in grinder and can handle more items.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: installing toilet and kitchen in basement, below where sewer pipe goes out

Do the systems clog? I'm guessing at some point they can, or would need to be replaced after so many years. What brands for these 2 systems are the name brands? What HP rating for the electric motors should I be looking for? I only need to lift the liquid slurry 5 feet or so.

Andrew

I don't have enough experience to recommend a brand, perhaps others will. Ejector pumps can get clogged by such things as tampons or wipes that don't easily dissolve in water. Waste from a garbage grinder could be a problem. A maceration pump system is a combination of a macerater or grinder which grinds up waste to very small particles and a ejector pump that pumps it out and is much less likely to get clogged. You can find information on the web or contact a local supplier such as a Saniflo dealer.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb