+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trim with Knots?

I have recently installed new Marvin wood windows. The trim carpenter came today to finish the window trim on the interior. There are several knots in the wood and it concerns me...even though I am going to be painting it. Isn't detail trim work supposed to be the best pieces of the wood? I understand that baseboards & longer cuts would have these imperfections, but should i be concerned around my windows?

P.S.-there are a few other things that concern me...is this just being petty?

Default Re: Trim with Knots?

We'd need photo evidence to make that judgment call. If you spec'd stain grade materials, then knot free would be expected. Paint grade generally will have a few defects, though usually still knot free. Usually paint grade wood is finger joined segments, which removes all defects that can cause a poor finish.

Can you elaborate on a few of the other concerns?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Did you ask your carpenter to install paint grade trim?
    If yes, then call him to clear the situation.
    I don't think you are being petty, just insist on getting what you are asking and paying for.

was stain grade trim specified, i have run into this in the past. did a place last summer where teh homeowner didnt mention anything about the trim detail other than they want the new windows to have "new trim" once it was installed they complained that they didnt get virola pine.

the trim budget was $2000 for material which they signed off on, but then complained they didnt get virola. for us to buy that amount of trim in virola wouild have been $7500
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Jkirk,

What happened to you is actually very common. That's why a bid should include a detailed (down to what fasteners to be used, etc.) material list.

Homeowners, who play naive, routinely win cases against contractors who neglect to specify in details what they are going to do, because courts like to side with the defenseless.

the job i mentioned, the client was a complete pain in the butt, they starting drawing changes on teh drawing and trying to say we didnt see the change. such as key structural items going from a dropped steel beam to a flush beam, door sizes.

there were a few times where the gc pulled us off the job for a day or two at a time because the homeowner kept changing their mind multiple times a day in regards to floor layout driving the trades insane
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I keep getting invalid file type...even thought the pics are within the parameters on the upload tool. I'll try to get some pics later.

I do not have the expectations of getting some exotic wood, etc...
    I consider myself to be quite easy going and not hard to please.

My concern with the knots is that, over time, i will have to replace the trim because of wood decay or something.

thank you all for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelWayne View Post
    My concern with the knots is that, over time, i will have to replace the trim because of wood decay or something.
    As long as the knots are tight and solid, they'll endure the test of time. If, however, there is bark, or they're dried and loose, then yes they have the potential to degrade and fall out. Where you'll see the worst behavior is where knots are exposed to the elements. As long as they're properly prepped and painted, they should remain stable.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

just doing this to get to the 10 posts...???...so that i may include a link or pic. Please bear with me.

post attempt 1