+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excessive gap

Default Excessive gap

I have a couple of doors that are out of square. One is an exterior door and the other goes to the garage. Most people in this situation are complaining about the door not closing or dragging the floor. I have the opposite problem, the gap between the door and frame is too large for the door to seal properly. How can I fix this?

Default Re: Excessive gap

you should be able to adjust the sweep on the door, normally there are screws that can be loosened to allow it to slide up and down otherwise the sweep may be wearing out then its a matter of replacing it... a sweep will run you about $15 or so at any bigbox
    fire up the saw and make some dust

A door sweep isn't going to fill the gaps around the door but thanks anyway.

in that case you may want to remove the trim and reinstall the door and shim it so its square again. with it being out of square its just going to bind up on you in the warmer months anyway making it harder to open and close once it swells with the humidity

Jkirk is absolutely correct here: resquaring the door and the jamb is the best remedy.
    When removing casing and trim, use caution not to cause damages. After the door is squared, reinstall insulation, trim, casing and caulk.

I just resquared an entry door last week - now it works like new.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    in that case you may want to remove the trim and reinstall the door and shim it so its square again. with it being out of square its just going to bind up on you in the warmer months anyway making it harder to open and close once it swells with the humidity

I'm with JK on this one. Remove the trim on the hinge side & see if the door was ever shimmed correctly. If it isnt shimming behind the hinges can correct the situation at times. Make sure you add at least one long screw into the hinge to keep the door from sagging back down. Depending on how bad the door is sagged you may be able to shim the hinges out some. I cut up a plastic milk jug the same shape as the hinge to ship the door over. The plastic will never rot like cardboard hinge shims.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

good idea about the plastic milk jug for shim material gizmo. ive just been using playing cards or the package from hinges for shims

jk I use to have plenty of Milk Jug Shim Supplies already cut out. Once you have the pattern cut out use a old fashion paper hole punch for the holes.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFAQ8wIwAA#
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

im going to have to jot this one down in my notebook of tricks and start implementing it

jk..I wouldnt doubt if Norm & Tom put that little recipe in there bag of tricks for a show/magazine topic under Green Building.
    Thats ok if they will demonstrate the Miter Master Plus on the show also.

You can make your own Milk Jug washer/spacers with different size's using hole saws when in a bind also...

opps Gizmo's spamming.......
    Last edited by Gizmo; 05-25-2011 at 06:34 AM.
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content