+ Reply to Thread

Default "Fading" pressure treated fencing??

Last year or so My neighbor installed a 6ft dogear pressure treated fence, he left natural. Because his fence abuts our property line near the drivway, I "bought" a few of his damaged left over panels, and manufactured a short, angled fence to hide our trash cans from the street side. His fence has faded/bleached clear/not green. Is there a procedure I can use on my 5ft section to help blend the 2??? At least I was able to use the same material, so it can match closly. Thanks.

Default Re: "Fading" pressure treated fencing??

You probably can't make your small 5' fence, built from old boards, look like a 1 year fence. You can stain both of them with solid fence stain, if you want.

In a typical dogear fence, the posts and the horizontal railings are treated, but the 1x6x6 boards are redwood, cedar or whitewood. Left "natural", the wood will weather and age. After all, it's standing there, 24/7, in the sun, rain, wind, snow etc.
    There is nothing wrong with that. But if you want to protect the fence, stain it.

Try bleaching your fence with a deck and fence cleaner containing oxylic acid. Behr's 2 IN 1 Deck Cleaner is one such product. Used as directed, it should totally get rid of any graying and also lessen the green of the pressure treating chemicals.

The cleaner is normally diluted with water at a 4 to 1 ratio, however, it can be used a little stronger for better cleaning. A vigorous rinse with a pressure washer works well. I have over 250 feet of cedar fencing on my property and use the Behr's Cleaner every other year to maintain its natural cedar color.

Thanks for the info. I'll try the deck cleaning product. The boards are all from the same batch, What I put up, was some scraps he had covered up as spares, so his fence looks clear/natural, not the greenish pressure treated hue. Thanks again