+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Smelly hot water - help!

Yet another update!

The Sears technician came by Wednesday and inspected our water heater. He confirmed that it was new but was shocked at both the amount of dents and the size of the dents. He stated that the two "larger" ones were abnormal, but let me know that the interior of the heater was not damaged.

He couldn't come up with a hard reason why the vent valve/release was leaking around the ring. He felt the line of what I thought was rust water (he stated this discoloration was not rust but the water reacting to the sealant)and seemed only vaguely concerned. I pushed a bit, and he pulled back the plastic ring and jabbed one of his keys into what appears to be some sort of foam like insulation inside the heater. More water come from this probing (to me it looked significant), but he still seemed nonplussed.

After more looking around, he let me know that he wasn't "comfortable" with how the heater looked, and was going to call to have it replaced. He made a call to someone - whoever it was he had to give some numbers and state he was a Sears water heater spe******t - and began to answer questions about the appearance and state of the heater. I heard him recommend that it be replaced, and again answer questions after this recommendation. Off and on I could hear the woman on the line with him, but could only make out that she was asking specific questions. He was put on hold, and when she came back on I heard what I knew right then was the end of the "replacement" idea. She asked who installed the unit, to which he replied it was not a Sears installation.

Fast Forward 2 minutes and he was off the phone, stating that Sears would replace the unit, but they would not pay for the installation. He began to tell me that I should keep the unit and call Sears back in a month or so and inform them that it was leaking. I didn't quite understand why I should wait, and when I asked him to clarify this, he told me that although Sears would replace the heater free of charge, the installation was $800. This is more than the heater actually cost, so I declined.

He again suggested that I wait a month and call, and by then Sears would ignore the fact of who installed it because it would have been proven that the issue was not installation related because the problems had developed over time - not right when the install occurred.

Odd direction from the Sears spe******t.

With that out of the way for the time being, I contacted my plumber. Unfortunately our conversation was odd, I found out he'd recently had a family emergency which had taken over his responsiveness. I informed him again that I needed to get the heater up to code, and sooner than later. He agreed to call me Thursday morning so he could come by and look at the heater Thursday or Friday.

It is now Saturday, 1:00AM PST, and I've yet to hear back from him. Unfortunately, as much as I truly like him and have grown to respect and have faith in him over the years, I'm going to have to find another plumber to work with me on my home.

I'll keep you all posted of next steps. If anything, I hope that this is at least an interesting read.

What Sears is going to do in 30 days is send someone out to say the heater is leaking,then they will give you a replacement. If they still work the same way they did when we were doing installs for them, they will charge you for the call and you will have to pickup the heater if there not installing it. It seams to me that the big culprit in this was your plumber. I take that back he in no way is a plumber. You would have been better off if you called a licensed plumber to supply and install the heater then if there was a problem he would make good for both the heater and the labor to install it. My bet is you will not get the first installer to make good for his mess and you will have to pay someone else to install it. I do feel bad for you as no one should have to go through this.

John

I think that if Sears is willing to give you a replacement water heater, that's really nice. They are standing behind the product they sold you.

I disagree with their labor charges, but you don't have to have Sears plumber do it.

Now, your problem was and still is, the "plumber". I understand that you hired him in the past, without any issues, but IMHO, he is not coming back to dismentle the WH, take it to Sears, pick up a new WH and install it TO CODE. Not anytime soon.

Then, you will have to hire a new plumber.

End result: you pay for 2 installation jobs, plus all the headaches, phone calls, inspections. And that's a shame.

What's supposed to be a relatively easy process turned into a nightmare, because of one plumber with some personal problems.

Hi all!

I've been busy traveling the past couple of weeks and didn't get a chance to post.

I totally agree with your last posts dj1 and Johnj. I'm going to be using a new, licensed plumber to install the replacement heater. I went to city hall yesterday and pulled the permit for it, so I should be good on that front.

It really is a shame that this process has been such a challenge. And truly unfortunate that it's ruined my working relationship with this plumber. Such is life I suppose.

I can't wait for you to start enjoying clean hot water again after your long and winding road, full of obsticles and unpleasant experiences...

BTW, how is the little one taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I can't wait for you to start enjoying clean hot water again after your long and winding road, full of obsticles and unpleasant experiences...

BTW, how is the little one taking it?
    Thanks for checking in dj. Enough time has passed that I'm going to call Sears again tomorrow to see if they'll come out and replace the heater. I checked it when I got back from my travels and it's still lightly leaking, which can't be right. Interestingly enough, when I got back from my travels, it appeared someone had taken a look inside the shed it sits in. Odd, I wonder who would have done such a thing.

Once they send the replacement, I'll be calling another licensed plumber I've worked with in the past to install it. This time with the permit waiting, everything should hopefully be smooth sailing.

A shame I need to pay for this again, but the plan is to get it right this time. Is there any way to find out if the plumber who I first worked with is licensed? This sounds terrible - but I always simply assumed he was. I'm learning that "assumptions" are never a good thing!

To find out if the plumber a is licensed just check with the building dept. But from the looks of his work I'm betting he isn't.

John

In California, you verify with the state if a plumber is licensed or not. Just log on to the Contractors State License Board website and search his name.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    In California, you verify with the state if a plumber is licensed or not. Just log on to the Contractors State License Board website and search his name.
    Thanks dj. Looks like he's licensed, and has been since 1984. This makes the entire thing even more strange.

Wrapping this thread up with an update.

Since I last posted;
    1. Sears came out, inspected the tank a 2nd time. Ordered a part that they felt would fix the leaking.
    2. Sears returned a week later, installed new part, showed that existing part had been threaded improperly "in the factory". Leak resolved.
    3. New and licensed plumber came by, corrected issues in addition to adding an element to the heater to meet city code.
    4. City inspector came out today and gave the thumbs up on the permit.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. It's good to finally have the tank installed properly, within code, and with an approved permit.