+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Smelly hot water - help!

That has to be one of the worst installations I have ever seen of a gas water heater. (And I have seen it all in 50 years) You don't use a washer hose to hook up the water lines on a heater especially on the hot side. The flue pipe needs to be connected and screwed together. You have a very serious fire hazard there. Not to mention the carbon monoxide hazard. I can't see the gas line but I can just imagine what that looks like. First thing to do is turn it off before someone gets hurt. Then call a real plumbing contractor to re-do the install. Before doing so save the pictures you have taken and show them to the building dept. so they can take action against the installer.

John

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    This is a new tank?

If it is supposed to be new, look on the factory printed tag for a date or some production code you can look up in line. It doesn't look too new to me.

Just sayin...
    Point well taken. That's how I felt when I first popped the shed open and looked at it - dents and leaks and all.

The good thing is that it does appear to be brand new. The shed, pipes around it, pipe that exhausts out the top, and the band that is around it holding it is all old. I think it looks much older since it is dented, has water stains on it, and has that old exhaust pipe thing on the top.

Regardless I'll follow your tip and look for the tag/date and report back here.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    That has to be one of the worst installations I have ever seen of a gas water heater. (And I have seen it all in 50 years) You don't use a washer hose to hook up the water lines on a heater especially on the hot side. The flue pipe needs to be connected and screwed together. You have a very serious fire hazard there. Not to mention the carbon monoxide hazard. I can't see the gas line but I can just imagine what that looks like. First thing to do is turn it off before someone gets hurt. Then call a real plumbing contractor to re-do the install. Before doing so save the pictures you have taken and show them to the building dept. so they can take action against the installer.

John
    This is a huge bummer. I'll need to call Carl regardless (we have other things planned with him that are close to starting in process), so I think I'll simply make mention of these observations.

We didn't pull permits on this and would like to, so perhaps that'll be a good starting point to see if he'll at least correct the issues. If not, then I'll move on to another plumber to correct the issues and get it up to code.

Thanks for the heads up on this. The last thing I need is a dangerous item sitting about 10 feet from where myself, my wife, and my daughter sleep.

On a side note, here is the plate on the water heater. I looked on line but couldn't gather where to find the age of the water heater. The model number is 153.33140, serial is 1118A011843

Yikes --- I concur with John that's a nasty installation.

It almost looks like the tank was dropped thus the dent.

That rust stain might be coming from the disconnected flue pipe above. Could be rusty water dropping down onto the slopped flue pipe onto the top of the tank and dripping down onto the T&P valve.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

MBeach...where do I begin? sorry about your nightmare.

Actually John summed it up accurately, but let me add:

1. The dent (in the pic) is a result of careless handling, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the tank itself. You can live with that.

2. The hot supply line has to be corrugated flex copper, stainless steel or EPDM knitted with braided stainless steel. Definately not a garden hose, which could be toxic. The cold is OK, but I would loop it one time (may need to use a longer flex to get the loop).

3. The vent is unsafe. Must be connected and secured.

4. The rust: check the T&P valve, it could be not completely tight, with pipe dope or teflon.

OH boy, this plumber has to answer some serious questions.

After taking a second look at the heater it is definitely not a new water heater. For the last three years or more gas heaters by law have to have a sealed combustion chamber. The one you have doesn't. It had to come from old stock as they can no longer manufacture them with open chambers. I would talk to Sears about that. They may give you a replacement.

John

MBeach,

Can you post a picture of the front label (showing date of manufacture) and a picture of thermostat and below, with the cover removed?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    MBeach,

Can you post a picture of the front label (showing date of manufacture) and a picture of thermostat and below, with the cover removed?
    I'll go try that now. Is the front label different than the image I posted above?

I've also called and left a message with the plumber. I know he'll return my call, I'll keep you posted on what he says.

I went out and took some more pictures.

This is a close-up of the line that goes into the "COLD" of the water heater.

And here is the line that goes into the "HOT".

Here is the panel/plate and the thermostat with it's cover. I couldn't quite see how to pop it off and didn't want to force it.

This is a better close-up of the plate. The only thing I see on it that appears to be a date is the 2006 number?

Last but not least, the gas line.

The heater is a 2006. Make a call to Sears. Like I stated we at one time installed for them and this was a common practice for them. It's one of the many reasons we stopped working for them.

John