+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Smelly hot water - help!

Stop payment on the credit card charge today. While you have 60 days to dispute a charge, get it done. That will grab the attention of the boys up stairs and you will get a new heater if they want their money. The second call would be to the local building inspector. The third call would be to the Better Business Bureau.

Installing a 5 yr old heater as new? and taking someone'd money? Shameful.

This is a Kenmore Sears model 33114, 40 gal 12 year WH.

I don't think it's older than 3 years. However by the rust on the cold side nipple, it may not be a brand new unit. All Sears water heaters come with new built in nipples, free of rust.

Sears would never sell a used heater in a new box. Or would they? This is really unthinkable.

That leads me to the frightening and unavoidable: Has the plumber switched water heaters on you? With no one there to watch, he was free to do as he pleased. Who knows.

I remember giving you a list of things to ask the plumber to do and follow. He hasn't done that. What he has done is a crappy, shameful job of poor installation.
    Last edited by dj1; 06-16-2011 at 10:57 PM.

MBeach,

What to do next?

Follow the advice of Houston, but act quickly.

Either Sears sent you an old or used WH, OR your plumber took you for a ride.

About the dent: either Sears delivery guy dropped the WH, Or the plumber mishandled it out of the box.

Please keep us informed.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    The heater is a 2006. Make a call to Sears. Like I stated we at one time installed for them and this was a common practice for them. It's one of the many reasons we stopped working for them.

John
    Thanks. That's a pretty poor business practice for Sears. If I'd never posted here I would have had no idea.The only thing I know for certain is that it wasn't our plumber who swapped it out. We were here when he came to install it, and with his truck it would have been incredibly difficult if not impossible to have switched it. Regardless of how poor the install was, I'd like to get the current heater! I paid for this outright, so I'll grab my receipt, order, and give Sears a call. In the mean time I'll be waiting to hear back from the plumber.

There was some delivery confusion - Sears showed up out of the blue while we were out of the house. At first they were going to reschedule, but then said they'd drop off a heater at another location and return to ours by the time we got back to our house. They didn't show for for quite some time, which is when I had to leave and my wife was present for the delivery.

Thanks everyone. All of this information and feedback is hugely helpful.
    Last edited by MBeach; 06-17-2011 at 12:05 AM.

All I can say is double ***,***....What a hack job ! Are you sure your plumbers not a wannabe and not a shoe maker by trade.

My guess is this water heater was installed in another home at one point and returned for whatever reason.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

or someone is selling new (your) HWHs out the back of their truck.

I was able to make a stop payment on my CC, which is a good thing!

I also did the "on line chat" with one of the Sears reps and asked about the manufacture date of the heaters - what they should be. "Bill" stated they're typically 2-3 months, and uncommonly about a year.

Next step - calling the Hot Water Heater Department of Sears to see if they'll give me a replacement. Wish me luck.

**update**

I called Sears and spoke to their CSR in the Heating department. After some sleuthing, and removing the earthquake band, it was determined that the unit was manufactured May 5, 2011. I'm still stunned that it's actually that new. They're sending out a Sears heater technician since the unit is still under warranty to see if they can determine why there is the rust stain around the water spigot. He shows up on Wednesday.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my plumber. I'll keep updating as things progress. Thanks!
    Last edited by MBeach; 06-18-2011 at 04:34 PM.

MBeach,

Now you are fighting back, and that's good.

The 2006 date on the label is not the manufacturing date. Water heater companies put the manufacturing date hidden in their own serial number (usually the week and the year - so 0917 would mean week 17th in 2009). By the photo of the thermostat I could see that the unit was less than 3 years old, as I mentioned before in a previous reply.

The rust and the questionable installation are the issues now. I hope you get a replacement unit, properly installed...

Then there's the "plumber". I would tell him to go work in the meat department, because he's a butcher, not a plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    MBeach,

Now you are fighting back, and that's good.

The 2006 date on the label is not the manufacturing date. Water heater companies put the manufacturing date hidden in their own serial number (usually the week and the year - so 0917 would mean week 17th in 2009). By the photo of the thermostat I could see that the unit was less than 3 years old, as I mentioned before in a previous reply.

The rust and the questionable installation are the issues now. I hope you get a replacement unit, properly installed...

Then there's the "plumber". I would tell him to go work in the meat department, because he's a butcher, not a plumber.
    The date was hidden below the earthquake band, once I moved that aside it was right there in front of me. I should have done a bit more inspecting.

I'm curious to hear what the Sears technician has to say tomorrow when he sees the unit. I'll share his comments here.

Any updates? Hope this works out for ya..

James