Default Fasteners used for stair threads

I read to use 2 1/4 trim screws for the threads and risers to prevent squeaking. Another home improvement site used finishing nails. Which is correct.

Default Re: Fasteners used for stair threads

If you have access to the underside of the stairs, you can drive thin wedges between the treads/risers and the stringers. Coat the wedge with glue and drive it in just enough keep the board from moving.

By the way, the squeak comes from the board rubbing on the nail.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I was taught to kneel down on the tread then nail the riser into the back of the tread to help eliminate squeeks.

Im not so sure I would use trim screws. There isnt much of a head on them.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Start by understanding the cause of the squeak: the symptom is the result of either the tread/riser rubbing against the nail, or the nail rubbing in the stringer. This indicates movement of the tread/riser.

If you've got movement of the tread/riser, either it was not cut with a tight fit or it has warped. Simply driving a new nail will only fix the problem temporarily; the force of the board trying to return to a "relaxed" state will eventually pull the nail out and the squeak will come back.

You need to stop the movement of the tread/riser, with the tread/riser in a "relaxed" state -- that is, not under stress. Placing glued wedges underneath will help. Sometimes, you can lift the tread, spread construction adhesive on the stringer, and put it back down. The adhesive can fill the gap just as a wedge wood. Then you may need to drive additional nails to hold things in place.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I want to lay down new threads and risers. Can I use 2 1/4 trim screws thru the threads into the stringers and the same for the risers? I know the head( sq head) is small but I will be able to fill in the head easier. I will be using constructive adhesive on the back side of the thread where they meet the stringer.Or do I use braids for the risers or finishing nails for threads and risers and what size would I use?