+ Reply to Thread

Question Replace Glass Panes in a Bow Window?

We have an original (1967 custom-made) beautiful bow window with 15 panes of glass. Each pane is 17 in. by 21 in. The problem is that every summer, afternoon heat pours into the living room through these energy inefficient panes of glass. (We seem to be okay in the winter.) Instead of replacing the entire window, I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the 15 original panes with 15 energy efficient low-E glass panes.

What kind of company or contractor would I contact to do such work? It seems like a good idea to me. Would there be any disadvantages?

Thank you.
    Last edited by jsusan; 05-21-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Default Re: Replace Glass Panes in a Bow Window?

Are you sure about your measurements?
    15 window panes @ 17"x21" each? can you attach a photo?

Anyway, I wouldn't replace the glass, but rather install low emissivity coating/shade for those super hot summer days, for a lot less money.

You want to select glass with a low solar heat gain coefficient and don't entertain your plan, instead replace the entire window.

DJ, that equates to about an 7x5 window. I've seen plenty of windows that large. The issue is more that it's a bow window than it's size.

I would opt for sun shades on the outside and blinds on the inside. The sun shade will protect the windows from direct sun, greatly reducing the amount of heat entering through the window. Blinds will help to reflect heat back out rather than have it radiate into the rest of the house.

TOH has shown original wood sash windows being reglazed with dual pane glass, it's possible that the windows you speak of can have a similar process done to them, but don't count on it. My suspicion is that the wood between the panes of glass won't withstand the milling necessary to install thicker glass panels. I can't tell you what kind of company does this type of work, so calling around to several glass shops may give you that answer.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree with Spruce. Whit a window that large low E glass is not going to help much.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Spruce,

You're right about the window size. And your suggestion of a sun shade type awning and blinds is excellent.

If you add your suggestion of exterior sun shade and interior blinds, to my original suggestion of coating the glass with a matalic oxide layer - that combination will significantly cut the amount of heat transferred and most likely solve the problem. Cheaper than replacing the whole window or the panes. The only thing about blinds is that when pulled down they offer no view.

Thank you for your insights and opinions. Based on your responses, I will not get the glass panes replaced. I will look into the glaze option. What kind of contractor specializes in that kind of work?

Quote Originally Posted by jsusan View Post
    Thank you for your insights and opinions. Based on your responses, I will not get the glass panes replaced. I will look into the glaze option. What kind of contractor specializes in that kind of work?
    Same as before, just call around to a few glass shops and ask if they or anyone they know does window tinting, from there you can narrow your search and choose a product to suit your needs.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!