+ Reply to Thread

Default Problem with deep window sill

Bought a condo last year that was converted from an old school house. The problem I am having is opening the windows without having to jump up on the sill.

The windows are double hung and good sized (59"x66"). The floor to the sill is 36" and the depth of the sill is 27". As you can imagine trying to open the window all your leverage is gone by the time you lean over and put your hands on the bottom sash.

Is there no product, or system, out there that allows you to keep your feet on the floor and be able to open a window set back so far?

Default Re: Problem with deep window sill

1- Casement windows with a hand crank.

2- A valet.

I'm sure someone with the same problem will eventually chime in. Perhaps a retired school teacher. Have you asked the building maintenance guys?

This was an OLD school house so it is pretty small and only has 4 units so no maintenance man.

I have been scouring the internet and the only answer I can find is climb up on the sill.

A window pole is typically used on very tall or otherwise less-accessible windows. You can find the pole and socket here:
    http://www.kilianhardware.com/doubhunwinha.html
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I remember the nuns had a pole to open the windows back in the pre-air conditioned days of my youth.