+ Reply to Thread

Default New hot water heater

Hi all I want to replace my 6 yrs old gas hot water heater it is a 40 gal. What and where should I buy it. Thanks for any help

Default Re: New hot water heater

Get some quotes from licensed plumbing contractors. Gas is not a job for a DIY.

John

John is right, don't mess with gas if you don't feel comfortable.

As far as the brand: all conventional water heaters brands are manufactured by 4 companies: AO Smith, American, Rheem and Bradford-White (which is sold only under Bradford-White).

Which one should you get? It's your call. They all make good water heaters. They also make a lot of bad ones.

I've changed dozens of water heaters through the years, and for me they are all the same. Today's water heaters are not much different than the water heaters sold 50 years ago, they work on the same principles. They of course have better safety features than the 1950 models, because of tighter regulations.

Have your plumber change the hot and cold supply lines and shut off valve at the same time. Also check the gas supply line, gas shut off valve, safety straps (if needed) and vent. Make sure he runs a 3/4" copper pipe from the T&P relief valve to the outside of the house.

Why are you replacing a 6 yr old heater? Normally they last much longer than that...

Also, water heaters are typically sold as "6, 9 or 12" year warranty heaters, with the time representing the manufacturer's warranty on the tank only. I am surprised that, if yours was a 6-year warranty heater, that it only lasted 6 years.

That being said, I would find the right size for your needs and buy a "12-year" model. If nothing else, the tank should be of superior construction and last at least that long (although there is some maintenance on the anode depending on your water conditions).

My personal feeling is that the difference in cost going from the shortest to longest warranty is less than the cost of buying and replacing a second water heater in that time span (e.g. for a 6 vs. 12).

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Cougars1996 View Post
    Also, water heaters are typically sold as "6, 9 or 12" year warranty heaters, with the time representing the manufacturer's warranty on the tank only. I am surprised that, if yours was a 6-year warranty heater, that it only lasted 6 years.

That being said, I would find the right size for your needs and buy a "12-year" model. If nothing else, the tank should be of superior construction and last at least that long (although there is some maintenance on the anode depending on your water conditions).

My personal feeling is that the difference in cost going from the shortest to longest warranty is less than the cost of buying and replacing a second water heater in that time span (e.g. for a 6 vs. 12).

Good Luck!
    The tanks on a 6 year and a 12 year heater are the same. At the most they may or may not have a better anode rod. You are buying a extended warranty, that covers the tank only. It doesn't cover the install cost, which is about 1\2 the cost of a new heater. In my area the gas companies are giving rebates for installing new or replacement gas appliances. Check with your gas supplier to see if they a offering any rebates.

John

I would advise using a drain pan under the heater. Have the installer add 3 bricks or pavers in the pan then sit the tank on top of the pavers/bricks. The pavers/bricks will allow the tank to not sit in water just incase the overflow release's water into the pan.

The pans can be purchased in metal or plastic.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_317903-11713...ductId=3126575
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Cougar,
    Talking about the warranty, John is right. "12 yr" is not twice as good as a "6 yr" heater. It merely has some extended warranty.
    However, you'll need a lot of luck trying to enforce the warranty. When calling the 800 number, you are rerouted to beautiful INDIA, where the rep will give you basically nothing for nothing. And he'll try to make you pay for shipping.
    A better enforcement will be to take the water heater back to the place you bought it from proclaiming: "I'm not leaving without a new heater". Bring a chair, food and drinks and a book, cause you'll be sitting there for a long time.
    Fortunately, the majority of the heaters are good and dependable. Fact is that tankless heaters have not replaced the conventional heaters, because the conventional heaters are basically good.

Gizmo,
    A pan is useful, when the heater is located inside the house (which is a terrible idea in my opinion, unless it's right next to a floor drain. If there is no drain, a pump will be able to do the job - in case of failure).

I recommend a 6 year heater, the cheaper the better, and a prayer.
    The size depends on how many persons use the water heater. 40 gal is good for up to 3-4 people, on the average.
    I also recommend a double insulated heater if it's located in the garage.
    And lastly, if it's a gas heater and it's in the garage, it has to be elevated off the floor.

Default Now is the Time

To look at whether an investment in a tankless or other water heater accessories that are offered are right for you.

Bradford White offers the ICON gas valve on all their water heaters. With that gas valve comes an array of accessories that can be added on to save fuel dollars as well as protection from a tank failure. I'm an not saying that you need them just that know is the time to look at the best bang for the buck.

You can find info here:

http://www.bradfordwhite.com/iconAccessories.asp

Know may also be the time to look at a tankless water heater. Nortiz which may boast the best burner and heat exchanger is a good choice as well as Rianni.

No matter the water heater you choose whether or not you purchase the extended warranty only have a life span of 6-10 years.