+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default concrete garage floor

The concrete slab garage floor has settled unevenly leaving a gap under garage door.. I would like to level the floor without breaking the whole floor. How can I do this properly and is cement resurfacing the right product for this type of job.
    Thanks

Default Re: concrete garage floor

Do you see any cracks in the concrete?
    How high is the gap under the garage door?

Has the settling stopped?

Is the slab tied into the wall supports?

Is the falling slab tied into the wall foundation?

How can I find out if it is tied to foundation wall by just looking at it. Is there a way. There are diagonal cracks in slab. It certainly has stopped settling. The slab is there for 25 years. The gap is around 1/4 inch just enough to let rodents in. Please need quick and durable fix.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by l.bro View Post
    How can I find out if it is tied to foundation wall by just looking at it. Is there a way. There are diagonal cracks in slab. It certainly has stopped settling. The slab is there for 25 years. The gap is around 1/4 inch just enough to let rodents in. Please need quick and durable fix.
    Thanks

Is the garage attached to your house. If not then your slap may only have a thickened foundation footer.

If the gap is only 1/4" why not change out the bottom weather strip to a heavy duty thicker one. Sometimes a garage door installer can adjust the door to sit down tighter.

Is the door wood or metal ?

http://www.garage-doors-and-parts.co...ther-seal.html
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

A 1/4" gap between the garage door and the concrete floor is not out of the ordinary, and the quickest, cheapest remedy is a thicker weatherstrip (readily available in hardware stores), or adjusting the door to close lower, as mentioned by Gizmo.
    If you have a rodent problem, treat them with poison or traps, since closing the gap will not stop them, they will find other ways in.
    Good luck.

It's hard to get a fix that will eliminate ALL gaps, but Gizmo & dj1 have good ideas concerning working with the door bottom & forgetting about pouring concrete.

If this is an 8' door, you would have to pull the old weatherstrip from the bottom of the door--but then get some cardboard strips the diameter of the door & temporarily tack them to the bottom of the door, at places where the gap is the most noticeable---close the door several times while arranging the position of the cardboard strips until you get a nice, even closing of the door without any gaps showing--this will take time & positioning the cardboard several times until most gaps disappear.

You can then temporarily attach an 8' pressure-treated stud to the bottom of the door with C-clamps, take a pencil & scribe the lines along the cardboard bottom onto the 2 X 4 stud; use a jig saw to cut the bottom strip from the wood, pre-drill some wood holes, & paint the wood strip to match the color of the garage door; remove the cardboard strips & attach the thin pressure treated wood to the bottom of the door; re-attach the weather stripping, or use a new one to complete the job.

Remember, if the door has an automatic opener, it will stop closing AS SOON AS IT HITS SOMETHING SOLID---this could be either bottom side of the door hitting the concrete slab, or the middle of the door hitting the concrete slab--also check that the top panel of the door is vertical & butts up against the top part of the door jamb, to indicate a completely closed door, that will prevent cold drafts in winter.
    Last edited by von_steuben; 05-21-2011 at 04:25 PM.

I think I got the idea your trying to put across. Also the panels do not close evenly. There is a gap between 2 panels so adjusting door to close tighter to floor is not going work.
    I need to raise floor or put thicker weatherstripping or can I add something to threshold of garage floor where the door hits
    floor to make a tighter seal and close gap in garage panels.
    It is ever so small gap.
    Thanks
    I think I need door dr in

]

There shouldnt be a gap between any of the panels that lets day light in whe the door is closed. If there is something else is wrong. Maybe worn out hinge hardware.

The thicker weathere stripping will take care of the "ever so small gap". You could install this on the concrete floor if you like,Im not so keen on the idea.

http://www.elite-xpressions.com/prod...thresholds.htm
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Yes I would consider heavy duty weatherstripping but I cannot come up with a picture to see what a diiference there is with my current weatherstripping. Can you find a picture and post it please. It would be very helpful and thanks for responding