+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Bead board installation question

I think I am going to put this discussion on hold for the time being. I have 2 threads going on at the same time. I have to get my floor issues resolved before I can tackle the wall/beadboard issue. I will be back in due time for further advice/discussion. Thanks for everyone's input so far.
    peace,
    Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Sophie, if it were me I would put the 2 X 4 blocking ever 8 to 12 inches and be sure to seal all 6 sides of the bead board before installing.

Jack

Im with Jack on this one. Ive done it a few times in the past. I even installed tyvek I had laying around behind the WC Paneling
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Sophie, if it were me I would put the 2 X 4 blocking ever 8 to 12 inches and be sure to seal all 6 sides of the bead board before installing.

Jack

I'm Back!!!

Jack.........do I need to seal the other 5 sides with paint as well, or is one coat of primer enough?
    peace,
    Sophie

answering for jack, the primer is all you need as long as it is a sealer quality primer. the primer will seal the wood and grab the finish coat of paint. the finish paint just has to go on the face of the wainscotting, dont forget to touch up any cut edges though with paint to keep it sealed
    fire up the saw and make some dust

OK guys....resurrecting an old thread, but I figured it would be OK since my new post is about this very topic!

I am almost ready to start putting in the beadboard (not the panel type). Yes, I'm very slow at this. Is it best to start in a corner or at the edge of a doorway? Do you measure and do the math so that you end up with the 2 boards at both ends being the same width? Once you get the first board level (vertically) is it necessary to check each one after that before you nail it in? I've never installed beadboard before, so any and all advice is appreciated.
    peace,
    Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by SophieC View Post
    OK guys....resurrecting an old thread, but I figured it would be OK since my new post is about this very topic!

I am almost ready to start putting in the beadboard (not the panel type). Yes, I'm very slow at this. Is it best to start in a corner or at the edge of a doorway? Do you measure and do the math so that you end up with the 2 boards at both ends being the same width? Once you get the first board level (vertically) is it necessary to check each one after that before you nail it in? I've never installed beadboard before, so any and all advice is appreciated.
    Hi Sophie.
    T&G beadboard is nailed through the tongues. So if you're a RH'ed person, it's easier to work it from left to right. It is possible to break a pattern (especially above a door where it's less noticeable) and run in both directions. It involves being able to do some woodworking to recreate one missing bead (from laying two groove edges next to each other) or live with the missing bead.
    When you begin, sort through the material and find the very straightest boards for the first courses. I would check with a level and a tape measure every five courses to see if I was running off.
    Having just finished restoring an old structure that was four rooms of floor to ceiling beadboard walls (the ceilings, too) I have handled a lot of it; and I answered under the assumption that you are in a full-wall scenario. If you're just wainscotting, then, absolutely, run it from the door casings in either direction, and make up the difference in the last board inside the corner, then start with a full board (scribed to be plumb) for the subsequent wall.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Hi Casey....

Thanks for your response. Nope, not doing a full wall of beadboard.....just a high wainscot. When you said run from the doorway to the corner and make up the difference in the corner.....I'm guessing you mean that the last board in the corner may end up having to be cut to fit, yes? Should I run the 2 walls with doors (longer walls) and then run the 2 shorter walls? When I start the outside wall (the one with the window), do I cut the groove off of the first board?

I understand your suggestion of checking every 5 boards or so with a level, but I'm not sure what it is I'm checking with the tape measure. Can you explain?
    peace,
    Sophie

OK, I tried to include a picture with that last post and it's not there. How does this work now? I used to be able to link to my photobucket account....that didn't work. When I tried the insert image from computer, that didn't work either.
    peace,
    Sophie

OK, got it figured out. You can see there are 2 doors into the bathroom across from each other. There will be no beadboard in the corner as the doors end in the corner. There is only room there for the door trim. So the beadboard will go from door opening into the corner of the outside wall on both sides.

peace,
    Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by SophieC View Post
    Hi Casey....

Thanks for your response. Nope, not doing a full wall of beadboard.....just a high wainscot. When you said run from the doorway to the corner and make up the difference in the corner.....I'm guessing you mean that the last board in the corner may end up having to be cut to fit, yes? Should I run the 2 walls with doors (longer walls) and then run the 2 shorter walls? When I start the outside wall (the one with the window), do I cut the groove off of the first board?

I understand your suggestion of checking every 5 boards or so with a level, but I'm not sure what it is I'm checking with the tape measure. Can you explain?
    Hi,
    You're on target. The tape measure is a way of seeing if you are keeping parallel with where you started and if you will be parallel with where you will end up. With individual boards, it's possible to be off unintentionally, and to intentionally get back to parallel at the last board to avoid a tapered piece. You can make very small adjustments with each piece to achieve parallel, even if that means getting slightly out of plumb, if the walls aren't themselves plumb.

Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.