+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bead board installation question

Hi guys & gals.....

I am in the process of doing some work in one of my bathrooms. I plan to install bead board (not the panel type)as a wainscot. My walls, once I removed old paneling and tile board, are solid wood on the studs. The boards are about 11" wide and most likely long leaf pine 3/4" thick. I am removing these wall boards where the bead board will be installed so that the bead board is flush with the remaining wall boards above. I am assuming that I will need to install some pieces of 2x4 between all the studs to have something to nail the tongues to.....is that correct? If so, from the floor up, what should the spacing be?

Thanks,
    Sophie
    peace,
    Sophie

Default Re: Bead board installation question

Sophie,

How dimensionally stable is the bead board? Every 16" would be the usual. You can shorten that if the math works out to a different number. The danger to think about is the wainscot warping over time. The placement of the wall blocking is designed to stop that. More is always better in this case.

The bead board will be newly purchased......it does not exist in the house presently.
    peace,
    Sophie

Sophie, if it were me I would put the 2 X 4 blocking ever 8 to 12 inches and be sure to seal all 6 sides of the bead board before installing.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hey Sophie,
    Are you affected by the floodings?

If these boards are interior sheathing (the exterior siding is applied right over the studs) maybe you oughtn't remove it, as it would be adding structure and stability to the framing. If it's on partition walls, feel free to pull it. Really, IMO there's nothing wrong with leaving it and applying the beadbord on top of it, other than losing 3/4" of space in the room.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

FWIW,

In my fair city the studs of all residential rooms must be covered with at least 1/2" of drywall (or cbu in wet areas) with at least one taping and floating. Any wainscott would be applied over the drywall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    If these boards are interior sheathing (the exterior siding is applied right over the studs) maybe you oughtn't remove it, as it would be adding structure and stability to the framing. If it's on partition walls, feel free to pull it. Really, IMO there's nothing wrong with leaving it and applying the beadbord on top of it, other than losing 3/4" of space in the room.
    Casey
    I think proper blcoking would take care of that propblem.

However HoustonRemodeler brings up a valid concern.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Hey Sophie,
    Are you affected by the floodings?
    No, I'm not affected by the flooding. Some of the areas that will be are not all that far away from me, but the waters won't reach where I am. Thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    Casey
    Well, on 2 sides of the room, I have to remove these boards because I am converting the 2 doors in the bathroom into pocket doors. So I have to open up to the framing in order to do that. I decided to keep the boards off on the wainscot area because if I don't, then the 3/4" bead board that I would install would end up being flush with the trim work around the doors, and I don't want that. So because I'm doing that on those 2 walls, I will also do it on the other 2 (remove for the wainscot area that is).

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    FWIW,

In my fair city the studs of all residential rooms must be covered with at least 1/2" of drywall (or cbu in wet areas) with at least one taping and floating. Any wainscott would be applied over the drywall.
    Why is that?
    peace,
    Sophie

The layer of continuous drywall is required by the fire code. In residential the minimum is 1/2" everywhere, for commercial its 5/8".

The drywall has a burn rating which retards the spread of fire much more than that wainscot. I'd suggest you contact your local building authority. It should be an easy answer for the inspector.