+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roofing Advice

Hybrid View

Default Roofing Advice

Hoping this is the best place to ask these questions. I'm asking for a friend of mine who still has dial-up and can't deal with how long things take to research with dial-up.

She'll be getting a new roof (compliments of hail and her insurance company) and wants to be able to ask the right questions of the roofing contractors and make the most of this opportunity.

So here goes:

1-Traditional shingles vs architectural shingles? She wants to know about the durability and the cost between the two.

2-Frost shield between house and 3-season porch, yes or no?

3-Ridge cap vs. wind turbines? Just pros and cons, I guess. She is getting different info from what I've researched for her and the roofing contractors she has talked to.

4-Is it easy for roofers to recycle old shingles all over the country? Do they recyle and if so, into what?

5-Solar panels in shingles? Is this the wave of the future and to be considered for a replacement now?

6-Price difference of a steel roof vs. shingle? Any down sides to steel replacement on a low pitched roof?

So, thanks in advance for what I know will be great advice and input, that I will pass on to her. I need a new roof too, but that ain't gonna happen until I get baseball-size hail, too!

Default Re: Roofing Advice

Let me start with a question, where is the house located? It makes a difference in the products and methods used.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
    Hoping this is the best place to ask these questions. I'm asking for a friend of mine who still has dial-up and can't deal with how long things take to research with dial-up.

She'll be getting a new roof (compliments of hail and her insurance company) and wants to be able to ask the right questions of the roofing contractors and make the most of this opportunity.

So here goes:

1-Traditional shingles vs architectural shingles? She wants to know about the durability and the cost between the two.
    I assume you're referring to 3-tab shingles as "traditional". Many municipalities have banned their use for reroofing purposes - repairs yes. The preference is to use architectural that mimics the look of a shake roof, which is far more aesthetic. As for durability, the architectural wins, hands down. They're essentially twice as thick, making them heavier duty. I believe you can get up to a 50 year warranty on architectural shingles.

2-Frost shield between house and 3-season porch, yes or no?
    Depends on your climate zone.

3-Ridge cap vs. wind turbines? Just pros and cons, I guess. She is getting different info from what I've researched for her and the roofing contractors she has talked to.
    Again, depends on your climate zone. Ridge vents are more aesthetic, but if you're prone to snow loads, then go with turbines that can be covered in the winter to keep out thawing snow and ice.

4-Is it easy for roofers to recycle old shingles all over the country? Do they recyle and if so, into what?
    Roofing materials can be recycled, but it still seems kind of hit and miss where it's being done. The last roof I did, the drop point did not have a reclamation area for asphalt shingles, only wood. I do not know what kinds of things are made from recycled asphalt roofing.

5-Solar panels in shingles? Is this the wave of the future and to be considered for a replacement now?
    I would recommend caution with these products, do plenty of research, and make sure that your application is ideally suited for such a thing. I'm all for solar, but am extremely leery of incorporating it into the roofing itself due to durability and longevity issues. I'm not saying these products are bad, just do your homework and make sure it's will work for you - they're also expensive.

6-Price difference of a steel roof vs. shingle? Any down sides to steel replacement on a low pitched roof?
    How low of pitch? Asphalt shingles can be installed to as low as a 2/12 pitch, though not recommended in snow load conditions. Steel would be the better choice from what I know of it. Steel is expensive, but has little to no maintenance issues when properly installed.

So, thanks in advance for what I know will be great advice and input, that I will pass on to her. I need a new roof too, but that ain't gonna happen until I get baseball-size hail, too!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

***, thanks for all that.

Actually, it's pretty much due south of St. Louis ...

She's in Missouri - little town southeast of St. Louis. I'm going to send her all your answers in an email.

Thanks again for taking the time.
    Last edited by mtngigi; 05-17-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added info

To add to Sprucey's excellent responce ( as usual ) ---
    turbine vents will require maintenance at some time since there is a * bearing* ( of sort ) that can wear out.
    Personally, a ridge vent is a better choice and there is no maintenance.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

What they said plus;

3- ridge venting with continuous soffit venting works best with no maintenance issues

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    To add to Sprucey's excellent responce ( as usual ) ---
    turbine vents will require maintenance at some time since there is a * bearing* ( of sort ) that can wear out.
    Personally, a ridge vent is a better choice and there is no maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    What they said plus;

3- ridge venting with continuous soffit venting works best with no maintenance issues
    Thank you for the vote of confidence, my only concern with a ridge vent in a snow situation (doesn't St Louis get snow? ) is that during melt it will allow water in through the ridge venting. Now, I will stipulate that I've never lived in a snow load region, so this is a guess on my part, but an educated one based on my knowledge of typical ridge venting systems, particularly those obscured by ridge shingling.

Heck, I never worried about condensation in bathroom venting until meeting you crazy folks!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Thank you for the vote of confidence, my only concern with a ridge vent in a snow situation (doesn't St Louis get snow? ) is that during melt it will allow water in through the ridge venting. Now, I will stipulate that I've never lived in a snow load region, so this is a guess on my part, but an educated one based on my knowledge of typical ridge venting systems, particularly those obscured by ridge shingling.

Heck, I never worried about condensation in bathroom venting until meeting you crazy folks!
    There really isn't a concern with melt water entering a ridge vent. The ridge vent is at the highest point of the roof --- the peak --- gravity dictates the water flows down the slope of the roof away from the ridge vent.
    Besides , the amount of snow they would get is a mere pittance of what we get here and we don't have issues with ridge vents.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush