+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Wiring for Cieling Fan

You may also need to replace the switch box with a bigger box because of the wire count.

You said you were an auto tech in a previous life. If you look at the Black (hot) wire like the red hot wire to the positive post of a battery and the white neutral wire as the frame of the auto which is the return to the negative side of the battery it may help you visualize the circuit better.The ground or bare wire in the AC circuit is not present in the DC circuits of an auto.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 05-19-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post

At the switch box --- remove the black wires from the switch and wire nut them together --- have a sip --- remove the red wire from switch and cap it --- replace cover plate --- let the dog out --- sit back and finish that beer --- done.
    Currently at the switch, I have.....2 black wires connected together at the bottom of the switch....and one red wire at the top of the switch......and 2 white wires nutted together....if I were to remove both black wires, and nut them together....then remove the red wire and cap it....what is powering the switch ???....I just removed all the wires from it ???

I thought if I leave the 2 black wires at the bottom of the switch (to keep power at the switch, and bring power to the outlet), disconnect and cap the red wire, and hook up the black from the fan to power it via the switch....then remove one one of the 2 whites that are nutted together in the switch box (the white leading to the outlet to be disconnected)), and replace that white wire with the white wire from the fan, then that would take care of the switch box....at the outlet, remove and cap the red (which at that point will be also unhooked from the switch).....remove and cap the white (also unhooked from the switch)....and leave the powered black wire from the switch to the outlet being it is already tied, and pigtailed to the bottom of the outlet.....at this point I would need a new outlet because the one in there has some sort of tab that was removed to make it a switched outlat. This would mean that the existing 14/3 that was originally in the box, will only have one wire used (black, to the outlet), and attached to the bottom of the switch. So the way it would look, is 2 blacks at the bottom of the switch...one black at the top of the switch leading to the fan......2 whites nutted together....one of them is to the fan.....red wire capped....white wire capped ....both leading to the outlet box. At the outlet box......red wire capped...white wire capped (both from the switch box)....the black wire from the switch box will stay as it is....nutted with 2 other black wires, in which one is pigtailed to the bottom of what will be a new outlet....there is already a white wire connected to the bottom of the old outlet, that will be placed back on the bottom of the new outlet. The reason for a bigger box....is that because of the number of wires in it, dead or alive ???

If you do that you will kill the split outlet and any other outlets that are daisy chained to it.

Jack

Hopefully this comes thru...this is the currently the way the wires run.
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...itchwiring.jpg

And this is what you need

Jack

Jack, Your picture doesn't come thru....my 'puter can't show it

Because they changed to a secure site (https) you have to click on "NO" when it asks if you only want to display secure items or you can try this link http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...itchwiring.jpg

Jack

Jack, I truly appreciate your efforts. So, in the switch box, the 2 blacks and the red nutted together with a pigtail going to the bottom of the switch....this makes 4 wires in one nut ???.....the black wire from the fan to the top of the switch where the red wire was...and the white wire from the fan gets nutted into the existing 2 whites. In this scenerio, there would be no reason to replace the outlet, correct ??

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Belly View Post
    Jack, I truly appreciate your efforts. So, in the switch box, the 2 blacks and the red nutted together with a pigtail going to the bottom of the switch....this makes 4 wires in one nut ???.....the black wire from the fan to the top of the switch where the red wire was...and the white wire from the fan gets nutted into the existing 2 whites. In this scenerio, there would be no reason to replace the outlet, correct ??
    That is correct. This is the simplest solution that requires the least changes and the switch operates the fan and all the outlets still work. No changes at the outlet at all.
    Jack