+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wiring for Cieling Fan

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    With this information I suspect that Jack called it, the red powers the switched half of the outlet, while the black brings the power from the hot half of the outlet to the switch.

If this is the case, then what you'll have to do is either replace the outlet or run a pigtail jumper to power both halves of the outlet. Leave the black hot up to the switch, cap the red at the outlet and at the switch box and push into the back of the boxes. Verify that the whites are bundled and the grounds are bundled at the outlet. Now the outlet will be hot all the time and you'll have power to the switch box.
    I doubt that's the case --- too many conductors.

If the branch feed to the receptacles first then all that's needed is 2 conductors routed to the switch. Likely it would be a 14/2 with the white marked black as the constant feed and the black as the switched conductor going back to the receptacle *S*

I believe the branch feed is 14/2 ( black and white ) comes from the panel into the switch box.
    From there a 14/3 feeds the receptacles ...

black -- connected to bottom half of receptacle *S* which is constant power. This also feeds the other receptacles downstream on the branch.

Red -- connected at the switch and from there the top half of receptacle *S* providing switched power .

It's the presence of the white neutrals in the switch box location that points to this and is the most common wiring scheme I see.

However, an exception could be the branch feed does go to the receptacles first and then is extended somewhere else . In which case that would be why explain the 5 conductors inside the switch box.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Beer belly,

You should have posted a photo or a diagram from the beginning.

Believe me, I would have, but my brother "fixed" my 'puter, and I lost the software for my camera....and also sound

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I doubt that's the case --- too many conductors.
    Now you're just being difficult ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

By the way, to make sure we're talking about the same thing: it's CEILING not cieling.
    (It's "i" before "e", except after "c")...

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    By the way, to make sure we're talking about the same thing: it's CEILING not cieling.
    (It's "i" before "e", except after "c")...
    This could explain the extra red wire!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If the original wiring had the two black wires connected to the same screw on the switch and the red wire on a second screw then my analysis is most likely correct. Hot and neutral to the switch box with hot wired to the switch and to the black wire going to the receptacle, neutral going to the receptacle and the red wire a switched leg going to the other half of the receptacle. On the receptacle there would be a black wire and a red wire connected to one side of the receptacle and a white wire connected to the other side of the receptacle.

And dj1, we try not to get into correcting spelling or grammar on this forum as matter of courtesy.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Question is the fan a fan only or a fan and light? If it is a fan and light do you want to have a switch for each?

Jack

Jack, the cEIling fan is actually a fan/light combo that comes with an optional remote to operate each individually.....I've got that end wired up as per instuctions...shouldn't be a problem. I'll probably get back to the switch later tonight, or more likely tomorrow. Trying to do this and deal with my 2 dogs who constantly want to go on the bed, outside, then back in, then pee on the floor...now I gotta clean it up.....plus it's union contract negotiations at the job....I'm the local VP, and on the negotiation team...so I'm fielding calls every so often....almost forgot, Wifes honey-do list...get dog meds and food, empty/fill the dishwasher, bring more wood into the garage....just feeling alittle burnt right now...sorry about the rant....I really appreciate everyones patience and help thru this

Sounds like it's time for a walk in the woods with a sixpack.

Jack