+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Wiring for Cieling Fan

Thanks Jack, I can see where a bigger box should be put in place, but my Wife has already told me to "work with what ya got"....heck, until last night I didn't have anything to test a circuit with.....I finally found a battery for my Fluke Meter....she even said "no" to a new outlet, even if it meant that the top half would be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    That is correct. This is the simplest solution that requires the least changes and the switch operates the fan and all the outlets still work. No changes at the outlet at all.
    Jack
    Dang it! I was certain we were gonna get him to rewire the place ...

Jack's solution is perfectly acceptable, though personally I'd change out the outlet and drop the red wire, just because it cleans things up the next time you or anyone else has to mess with it. It's too easy to get confused when there's more things going on than necessary.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Belly View Post
    Thanks Jack, I can see where a bigger box should be put in place, but my Wife has already told me to "work with what ya got"....heck, until last night I didn't have anything to test a circuit with.....I finally found a battery for my Fluke Meter....she even said "no" to a new outlet, even if it meant that the top half would be dead.
    Why would she do that, seems rather silly. You're at least going to have to replace the switch if you want independent control of the light/fan at the switch. A stacked switch is available for single boxes like you have, or you can change the box with a cut-in (retrofit) double box. You're talking less than $10 for the switches, coverplate, outlet, and box.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Why would she do that, seems rather silly. You're at least going to have to replace the switch if you want independent control of the light/fan at the switch. A stacked switch is available for single boxes like you have, or you can change the box with a cut-in (retrofit) double box. You're talking less than $10 for the switches, coverplate, outlet, and box.
    I don't understand her logic either, and I'm not gonna try....I always lose anyhow. I needed front speakersa for my Silverado so that my On-Star would work...heck we're paying for it every month. I convinced her to buy the cheapest speakers, and when I didn't get them installed within a week, she returned them.....I don't have much time, usually leave the house at 7:15am, and don't get home till 11:30pm.....I'm home now because I just had surgery for a torn Miniscus in my left knee....so now I got cheap speakers installed, and now hopefully this fan up and running.....wish someone was here to man the breaker....guess if I hear a "pop" while in the garage, I'll know to call the fire department....but not until the flames are thru the roof

Just fired it up....as we say it the automotive biz "I didn't let the smoke out of the wires".....I'm gonna leave everything on for about 15 minutes to make sure nothing heats up from a bad connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Belly View Post
    Just fired it up....as we say it the automotive biz "I didn't let the smoke out of the wires".....
    Where I come from we call that magic smoke, which is precisely tuned at the factory. Let any of it out and the device worky no more!

Glad you got it together before the wife returned the fan on ya! I've got the opposite problem, my girl leaves stuff laying around in perpetuity. Drives me nuts, it's like picking up after a 2 year old.

Hey, no dirty laundry here please...

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Hey, no dirty laundry here please...
    Oh, no, laundry she does, it's everything else she leaves laying around.

I hear you :D

Just pushed all them wires into that itty bitty box as carefully as I could....she came home in time to man the breakers while I finalized everything.....I told her I should have a bigger box....her answer..."Why didn't you get one" . Mama's happy, everybody is happy. Any of you guys in Connecticut ???....wanna have a beer ???....I'm gonna pop one open now. It took 5 pages of posts....but it's done. Thanks guys