+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wiring for Cieling Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Sounds like it's time for a walk in the woods with a sixpack.

Jack
    ...and I'll tell the Wife you said so

Let her get her own beer ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Okay....so, I grabbed a beer and moved the dresser to get to the outlet....I've got 3 blacks tied together....1 of the 3 blacks leads to the brass screw on the bottom of the outlet...hold on, dog wants off the bed...there is a red that leads to the other brass screw on the top of the outlet, and 2 whites that run seperately to the 2 silver screws on the other side of the outlet....hold on, dog wants to go downstairs (old dog)...grabbed another beer (I love you guys!)....on the switch side there are 2 blacks at the bottom of the switch, with a red at the top of the switch....and 3 whites tied together.

Gave something a try....removed the red wire from the top of the switch....this killed the power at the top half of the outlet, and left power to the bottom half of the outlet

It sounds to me like a 3-way switch was used, for some odd reason. What you've described could have been done with a single pole switch much more easily.

The whites being set to separate lugs on the outlet accomplishes the same thing as bundling them together with a pigtail and running the pigtail to a single terminal. The only thing here is if the bar between the lugs on the side of the plug has been removed, then it would need to be the way it is currently.

Did someone mention that it was time for a beer?

On a serious note, for safety's sake, I do hope that you're killing the circuit before messing with things, and most certainly do not work on things under the influence. Your dogs and your wife will thank you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sprucey , not to be difficult -- doesn't sound like a 3 way switch -- it's just a regular old single pole switch with 2 black wires connected to the bottom screw and the red on the top screw.

slurp -- ahhhhh ---

Beer Belly -- if you want to disable that receptacle from being switched --- remove the red wire from the receptacle and cap it. Disconnect the black and white wires --- install a new receptacle --- reconnect the black and white wires to the new receptacle --- install cover plate --- move the dresser back in place --- open another brew.

At the switch box --- remove the black wires from the switch and wire nut them together --- have a sip --- remove the red wire from switch and cap it --- replace cover plate --- let the dog out --- sit back and finish that beer --- done.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Sprucey , not to be difficult -- doesn't sound like a 3 way switch --
    Difficult is your middle name, Mister Canuk!

I know what the problem is, my answers are correct, Beer Belly just isn't asking the right questions! That's gotta be it!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Difficult is your middle name, Mister Canuk!

I know what the problem is, my answers are correct, Beer Belly just isn't asking the right questions! That's gotta be it!
    I think ya hit it right on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post

At the switch box --- remove the black wires from the switch and wire nut them together --- have a sip --- remove the red wire from switch and cap it --- replace cover plate --- let the dog out --- sit back and finish that beer --- done.
    Being I am using the switch to power the cEIling fan, shouldn't I leave those black wires on the switch ???. I think I've got it now....the 2 blacks at the bottom of the switch are powering the switch, and also carrying power to the outlet box....when I hit the wall switch, it then sends power to the top half of the outlet via the red wire...the whites in the switch box are tied together as the neutrel, or ground, whatever.....at the outlet, the top half powered by the red wire needs a ground, neutrel, whatever, hence the white on the top half of the outlet....then the 2 black wires are tied together with a 3rd black pigtail to power up the bottom half of the outlet....which in turn, also needs a white wire on the bottom to complete that cicuit.....sound right ???....I drew it out this morning after reading what everyone is saying, and that is what I'm coming up with....just trying to also understand how this works so I can carry the knowledge with me.

You have an additional feed from the outlet to another The second black wire and one of the white wires. The two whites are on the silver screws whit are connected together on the outlet. On the other side the jumper between the bras screws has been removed so the black only feeds half and the red feed the other half.

Leave the receptacle as is, no changes. Remove the wires from the switch and wire nut the two blacks that are on the switch and the red wire and the black wire pigtail that you will connect to the bottom of the switch. Connect the black wire for the fan to the top of the switch and the white fan wire wire nutted to the whites in the switch box. Both halves of the outlet will always be hot and the switch will control the fan. Wire nut all bare wires (gounds) togeather.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb