+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaky floor?

Default Leaky floor?

Hi all. This is my first post, and I'm trying to figure out the source of some water in my basement.

Let me describe the situation to you. The water is coming from the area between the stool and the tub in my bathroom and I notice it when the shower is run. The pipes do not appear to be wet/leaking, and the bathroom is a newer remodel with new tile and caluk. I've already checked for spots in the grout/caluking and I don't see any locations where it could be coming from.

There isn't a lot of water but I'm concerened about it damaging my floors.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

Default Re: Leaky floor?

Is it escaping from the shower curtain? You would be surprised how much water splashes in the corners of some showers.

My wife flooded our kitchen ceiling the first time in our new shower. 10 minutes worth.

They make a plastic dam for this occasion
    Can correctly identify Shinola 3 out of 5 times*

*Under ideal conditions

Do you have a shower curtain with suction cups or a tub enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by drglinski View Post
    Hi all. This is my first post, and I'm trying to figure out the source of some water in my basement.

Let me describe the situation to you. The water is coming from the area between the stool and the tub in my bathroom and I notice it when the shower is run. The pipes do not appear to be wet/leaking, and the bathroom is a newer remodel with new tile and caluk. I've already checked for spots in the grout/caluking and I don't see any locations where it could be coming from.

There isn't a lot of water but I'm concerened about it damaging my floors.

What do you suggest?

Thanks
    Which pipes are you refering to?
    Do you have access to see the drain , supplies and shower valve?

By the way what do you mean by *stool*?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

How were the tub walls constructed? What waterproofing method was used?

Tile + grout + cement board is NOT waterproof. Caulking is merely a cosmetic treatment to the corners which allows for in plane movement and does not add anything to the waterproofing.
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 05-20-2011 at 12:43 AM. Reason: more preciser.

Smile Re: Leaky floor?

Canuk,
    stool = toilet?
    pipes = faucet handles? pipes in the wall? toilet supply connector? toilet angle stop?

Houston,
    Mark mentioned a tub, not a shower stall.

Thanks DJ1 I edited it.

I had a leak from my shower last year. It damaged a small section of ceiling right above my front door entry. Instead of fixing the whole ceiling and having to pay someone to retexture it and paint it, i just made the whole into a rectangle and inserted a plastic, lightweight vent. It looks like it belongs there, I didn't have to fix the ceiling, and now I have access to the pipes in case there's another leak.

Drglinski:

Check the wall penetrations at the front of the tub, specifically around the shower faucet knob(s) and tub spout.

Take the knob(s) and escutcheon(s) off and see if there's any gap around the faucet rough-in that water could be getting in. Any gaps around the rough-in should be caulked.

Also, if you have a DIVERTER SPOUT (which diverts water from the tub to the shower head) look at the bottom of your tub spout right at the back near the wall, for a set screw. If you find one, then your spout is a slip-on spout that slips over copper piping. If thee's no set screw, then it screws on to a threaded pipe. Take the spout off and look for any gaps around the copper or threaded pipe the spout fits on.

If you only find water leakage during a shower, then it COULD also be water leaking out where the shower arm screws into the winged elbow inside the wall. However, the guy that did the bathroom reno should have checked for leaks there before putting up the wall and tiling. It's more likely to be coming in through penetrations in the wall around the faucet and spout.
    Last edited by Nestor; 06-22-2011 at 07:17 PM.