+ Reply to Thread

Default Dropped Concret/brick stairs

Two steps on my poured concret and brick paved front porch have droped about 2" overall.
    Some time ago I saw on TV TOH answer to a droped padio that was corrected by the pumping of either hydrolic cement or ridgid expandable polyurethane under the slab. Can this possibly wok in correcting my problem? If so does anyone know a northern VA contractor that can do the work
    Last edited by Ed Maurer; 05-18-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: typos

Default Re: Dropped Concret/brick stairs

This solution works well for floor slabs because they are typically bounded on sides by foundation walls. This contains the grout forcing it to "push up" on the slab. Not sure how well it would work on steps but I would check with a pro.

Depending on how bad the footing situation is it may only be a temporary fix.
    Can correctly identify Shinola 3 out of 5 times*

*Under ideal conditions

I would like to know what caused the steps to drop and by how much they dropped. Do you have soil erosion under the steps? leaky pipes? do you see soft spots? mud?

Not treating the causes of the drop may result in future drops.

1. To do this you will have to move the steps out of the way or bust them out.

2. After you do that, you can address your problem. When done, compact the base well (you can rent a portable mini compactor to do it).

3. Now you can finish with the steps:
    (a) move the old steps back,
    (b) pour new concrete steps or
    (c) install treated wood steps (properly installed, they work very well).

Thanks for your reply.Unfortunately removing the steps would be a major problem. . My house is built on a 18 degree slope and the front is backfilled. When the concrete was poured they were short and as a result filled in the steps with stone , As it has been 16 yesrs since the pour perhaps I can get away with injecting the rigid polyurethance under the steps. The problem is determining how much to inject as I only need to raise the steps 2"

Quote Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
    This solution works well for floor slabs because they are typically bounded on sides by foundation walls. This contains the grout forcing it to "push up" on the slab. Not sure how well it would work on steps but I would check with a pro.

Depending on how bad the footing situation is it may only be a temporary fix.
    Thanks Will give it a try

It sounds like poor subsurface compaction when the house was built is your main problem. What to consider would be the house is now holding the stairs up from sliding more? Or have the stairs slid evenly down? Evenly down would be your better stance as the soil below would have been compacted by the weight of the stairs. If the stairs are leaning against the house then the soil below may still need more compacting.

If you have had rodents under the stairs, the soil may be missing and need compaction.

Stairs have settled evenly over the last 16 years and are free standing form the house foundation.

The question now is hoe much expandable redif polyurethanne to inject under the stairs to nudge then up no more then two inches

That's hard to say...it depends on how deep the void is, how much area has to be jacked up.
    Get yourself enough supply of that stuff, inject little at a time, and see how you advance.