+ Reply to Thread

Default when to re-build a deck, or tear down and start new

How does one decide whether its better to "rebuild" an existing older deck, or remove it completely and built new? Am looking at a 1960s house with a 7' x 14' deck that's off the ground about 12'- its built off the side of house and the three 4 x 4 posts sit on piers that sits on a 7' x 14' concrete pad.

The deck has never been maintained - never stained, power washed, nothing. The 4 x 4 posts are starting to twist. The rails are sagging and the deck does have some movement when ya move side-to-side. Its still adhered securely to side of the house, and I don't think it will fall down, but am wondering how much life it has left in it.

If dock has to be rebuilt, does anyone have an idea of costs to replace? Or if anything can be salvaged, "how" can you tell?

Default Re: when to re-build a deck, or tear down and start new

youll have to post a pic for to get a better idea of what kinda of shape its in

as for cost to rebuild it generally works out to whatever the material cost is double that for the total but thats a bare minimum
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: when to re-build a deck, or tear down and start new

A deck cannot be rebuilt when the supporting posts, beams and cross bars are in bad shape. At this point the deck is actually dangerous.

You said that your deck is 12' high and it moves from side to side. That's not good.

Since a deck is a structure which has to meet a certain safety level, you have to do something, and quickly.

I would tear it down and build a new one. You may be able to salvage some of the hardware connectors, nuts and bolts. My choice of lumber: treated for the posts, beams and cross bars. Redwood for the railing and deck. I use only deck screws as fasteners. Staining is important too.

Cost? make a list of lumber used in your old deck, stop at a lumber yard and price them. Labor? varies widely. Get 3 estimates.

Good luck.